PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Broken Soundcard?

RMelyon
April 17th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I'm a complete Linux noob using ubuntu 8.10 and I installed Exaile Music Player because people recommended it for the equalizer. After about an hour of equalizer-enabled listening, all of a sudden all that came through the speakers was static. I closed Exaile and the static continued, so I rebooted. The static stopped, but now I get no sound at all.

In the taskbar sound control, there's a red X next to the control, and when I click it, I get this message: "The volume control did not find any elements and/or devices to control. This means either that you don't have the right GStreamer plugins installed, or that you don't have a sound card configured... You can remove the volume control..."

I'm running Linux through a dual-boot on an Asus G1 laptop, and even when I go into Windows XP, that OS doesn't recognize my soundcard. Further, my bios startup screen displays a "Asus gaming series" logo with a "boom" sound... after going into the bios, the volume on that is set to max, and that sound doesn't even play.

Exaile didn't blow up my soundcard, right? Tell me I just have to reinstall some drivers or something!

I literally installed Linux 5 days ago, and I'm much more familiar with Windows, so if there's a way to fix it though that, then I'd much appreciate those instructions over Linux ones, if possible.

Thanks for the help in advance.