PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Gnome + KDE join forces

UranUtan
April 17th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Hi,

I started Linux with Ubuntu so I just get used to Gnome. Not having enough experience with Desktop environments, I may miss a lot of cool things in KDE.

More choices may appear cool, but this also divide the talent pool. I would imagine that if the Gnome and KDE teams joined force, this would represent am even more credible and serious argument against strong competitor such as OSX or Windows.

Is there any political reason (other than the underlying graphic lib) that force Gnome and KDE to go its own way? Is there any hope that they could be unified?

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

PacSci
April 17th, 2009, 02:43 AM
GNOME and KDE, though unifying them would be an admirable goal, represent very different philosophies. GNOME seems to be more focused on ease of use, while KDE is mostly focused on advanced configurability. These two styles do not mesh well.

Secondly, it would just be really HARD to get the two code trees merged. In fact, I'd say that it would border on impossible.

Finally, the whole point of Linux is that the user has a choice what desktop environment, shell, distro, or whatever they use. More choices create specialization, which anyone who's taken economics from a good professor will tell you is a Good Thing. If there was only one, with no real choice, then Linux would be losing something from that.

More cooperation between the DEs might be good, though. They already combined their conferences into one last year, so more cooperative efforts might be forthcoming.

SuperSonic4
April 17th, 2009, 02:45 AM
A lot of KDE programs are written in Qt4 and a lot of gnome are written in gtk2. For inoperability you'd need the libraries of both which would make a live DVD which would be longer to download and it would slow the system down if only by a fraction.

Also due to the nature of open source software someone could just create a fork and start over

UranUtan
April 17th, 2009, 03:12 AM
GNOME and KDE, though unifying them would be an admirable goal, represent very different philosophies. GNOME seems to be more focused on ease of use, while KDE is mostly focused on advanced configurability. These two styles do not mesh well.

Secondly, it would just be really HARD to get the two code trees merged. In fact, I'd say that it would border on impossible.

It's the two properties you mentioned are not mutually exclusive. It is conceptually possible to combine them. Of course it's hard, especially if you don't do anything about it. At my work, it happened in some projects there are some inefficient parts where people continue to maintain the inefficient way. Any idea of improvement appear as impossible. Because they are simply too used to it and cannot think outside of the box. It took some courage, rewrite the whole thing entirely took less time than maintaining the dinosaur.

Finally, the whole point of Linux is that the user has a choice what desktop environment, shell, distro, or whatever they use. More choices create specialization, which anyone who's taken economics from a good professor will tell you is a Good Thing. If there was only one, with no real choice, then Linux would be losing something from that.

Yes more choices, that is why there are may thousand of shoe repair shops and convenient stores around the city. But do you think that the convenient store next door will be able to compete against a few giant retailers?

I hope that Linux will have a bigger ambition than that convenient store. To compete seriously you need certain critical mass. And I feel the lack of critical mass of Linux almost everyday. When talking about Linux around me, at best people just be surprised, at worst they just think I am a lunatic loser not having enough money to buy decent equipment.