PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] b43 error on x-wubi install reboot, changes from bash lost after reboot

AJNpa80
April 16th, 2009, 06:51 AM
ok Im gonna throw this out there. I'm doing a wubi install on an averatec 3200. I'm getting the b43 phy0 ucode5.fw error on the first reboot. i know how to fix it in 3 diferent ways. it goes to bash after sitting for a minute or 5, i fix it over and over and changes are lost after reboot. i need to find out why the changes aren't saved even when i sync and reboot, also it would help to know how to start ubuntu from the bash prompt while the changes are in memory should it not be possible to have them written before i boot in and finish the install. by the way i am using 8.10 xubuntu wubi,(i've tried several versions and will use any) figured id try that to minimixe the possibility of problems just until i get it running once. the only distro that has ever booted on this turd was goblinx although i didnt get wireless working,(didn't try either) the lack of b43 firmware didnt send it for a loop. if i can figure this out im gonna ditch windows altogether (i'm a semi newbie but i've tried several distros and setup several installations, my little personal laptop is the only on thats ever given me any problems but its helped me learn alot) thanks

AJNpa80
April 16th, 2009, 07:12 AM
ok Im gonna throw this out there. I'm doing a wubi install on an averatec 3200. I'm getting the b43 phy0 ucode5.fw error on the first reboot. i know how to fix it in 3 diferent ways. it goes to bash after sitting for a minute or 5, i fix it over and over and changes are lost after reboot. i need to find out why the changes aren't saved even when i sync and reboot, also it would help to know how to start ubuntu from the bash prompt while the changes are in memory should it not be possible to have them written before i boot in and finish the install. by the way i am using 8.10 xubuntu wubi,(i've tried several versions and will use any) figured id try that to minimixe the possibility of problems just until i get it running once. the only distro that has ever booted on this turd was goblinx although i didnt get wireless working,(didn't try either) the lack of b43 firmware didnt send it for a loop. if i can figure this out im gonna ditch windows altogether (i'm a semi newbie but i've tried several distros and setup several installations, my little personal laptop is the only on thats ever given me any problems but its helped me learn alot) thanks

AJNpa80
April 16th, 2009, 07:13 AM

AJNpa80
April 25th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I'm still stuck after another week but haven't had much time to fool with it until now. no replies to any of my posts, and very little from irc. I'm wondering if wubi mounts in readonly mode when you get dropped to bash before the install gets to finish on the first reboot due to an error (the b43 fw error)i have even thought about rebuilding the iso to have b43 installed automaticly, ive tried to access the virtual disk to add it from windows, abd ive tried to figure out custom install to add a package right off the bat but due to my limited experience as a semi new guy, no success, the easiest way would be to find out why it wont stay put after a reboot and the script to alter, or how to go into ubuntu proper from bash while it remembers what i did to do it again once inside and see if it sticks then. im only using wubi because im not willing to wipe xp which i plan to do until i get any linux up and running on this little box, wubi seemed the safest way to test on this box.i have tried several distros and all built on debian had the same error because of the prop. firmware. goblinx is the only linux distro ive ever gotten into completely on here, but no wireless, lack of b43 just doesnt cause it to pitch a fit.every other box ive ever put ubuntu or any of its children on has been a cakewalk. once again when i know i can get full functionality on here i am going to do a dedicated install with only a very small xp partition for silliness. so please reply if you know anything, im running out of blank cds and everyone wants to know where ive been.

AJNpa80
April 25th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I'm still stuck after another week but haven't had much time to fool with it until now. no replies to any of my posts, and very little from irc. I'm wondering if wubi mounts in readonly mode when you get dropped to bash before the install gets to finish on the first reboot due to an error (the b43 fw error)i have even thought about rebuilding the iso to have b43 installed automaticly, ive tried to access the virtual disk to add it from windows, abd ive tried to figure out custom install to add a package right off the bat but due to my limited experience as a semi new guy, no success, the easiest way would be to find out why it wont stay put after a reboot and the script to alter, or how to go into ubuntu proper from bash while it remembers what i did to do it again once inside and see if it sticks then. im only using wubi because im not willing to wipe xp which i plan to do until i get any linux up and running on this little box, wubi seemed the safest way to test on this box.i have tried several distros and all built on debian had the same error because of the prop. firmware. goblinx is the only linux distro ive ever gotten into completely on here, but no wireless, lack of b43 just doesnt cause it to pitch a fit.every other box ive ever put ubuntu or any of its children on has been a cakewalk. once again when i know i can get full functionality on here i am going to do a dedicated install with only a very small xp partition for silliness. so please reply if you know anything, im running out of blank cds and everyone wants to know where ive been.

AJNpa80
April 25th, 2009, 03:09 PM

Elfy
April 25th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Please do not post duplicate threads.

AJNpa80
April 25th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Please do not post duplicate threads.

wasnt sure which section to post in because it could have been a n/w thing a laptop thing a wubi thing an install thing or a disk write thing so i altered it slightly for each subject to have it in each place for exposure because bits been 2 months and im about to try fedora or suse for a complete lack or replies or fresh insight, but thanks for your time in replying it means you might have read it even though you had no possible solution.