PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Zapped Kayboard?

SedaliaSteve
April 16th, 2009, 04:12 AM
I recently installed Xubuntu on a Hp Pavilion N5415 laptop. The keyboard was working fine. I was just playing around doing trying to get a Wifi card to work. (It did.)

When I went to touch the keyboard, there was quite a static shock, which might have done it. The computer crashed. When it came back up the keyboard was real strange. I really have to thump the keys to get them seen. They do work but what it takes to be seen is really close to a multiple key press.

I went to the settings and that wasn't much help. I could either make it almost impossible to see the keys or huge numbers of repeats. The only problem I'd been having up until now were dropped mouse clicks.

Is there anything that needs re-installing or diagnostics?

Steve

HankB
April 16th, 2009, 06:29 AM
When I went to touch the keyboard, there was quite a static shock,

I had that happen on an HP laptop several years ago. The Laptop went dark and never came back up. I sent it back to HP and they replaced the system board under warranty.

Good luck.

-hank

SedaliaSteve
April 16th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I'll try booting tonight from the Xubuntu install disk and a Windows disk. If they both show the problem, the keyboard is dying. That's a shame since this is long out of warranty. It also probably isn't worth salvaging now.

Steve