PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Two Questions

Regele IONESCU
April 14th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Hi all!

Firstly let me share my happiness: I am the happy owner of a dual boot system: Windows XP and Ubuntu Studio. Everything works fine.

Questions:

1. When I installed Ubuntu Studio I have been asked for the passphrase and told that there will be a folder nobody could access but me. What is that folder? What is his name?

2. How could I make a similar folder, with the same rights, so I could be the only one that could open it, on an external hardrive? The last question would be better like this: could I make such a folder on an external hard drive?

Many thanks!
Long live Linux, long live Ubuntu, long live Ubuntu Studio, long live Ubuntu community!):P

Yvan300
April 14th, 2009, 07:35 PM
To the guy above me, don't you have to be an admin of the forums to have that animation in your signature :)

ninjapirate89
April 14th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Looks like spam.

Regele IONESCU
April 15th, 2009, 07:36 AM
To the guy above me, don't you have to be an admin of the forums to have that animation in your signature :)

Then why is an option available to non administrators? And I was waiting a response to my questions.:guitar:

Regele IONESCU
April 15th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Looks like spam.

Two questions DIRECTLY related to Ubuntu are spam? And a non-sense reply isn't spam at all?

As both of your replies do not answer my questions they are pure spam.

I was waiting for an answer to my questions and I got stones. Is that how Ubuntu community is?

Nepherte
April 15th, 2009, 11:14 AM
The private directory is /home/<username>. The <username> has full access, others none. Creating the same situation on a external disk is somewhat more difficult as fat and ntfs, the two most common file systems found on external disks, don't have this kind of permission system.

Regele IONESCU
April 15th, 2009, 11:51 AM
The private directory is /home/<username>. The <username> has full access, others none. Creating the same situation on a external disk is somewhat more difficult as fat and ntfs, the two most common file systems found on external disks, don't have this kind of permission system.

Thank you for your reply!

Couldn't I make an ext3 filesystem on the external HD? If I make that could I access it from another Linux machine, would I be able to access it using a user name and pass-phrase or sort of?

My aim is to make kind of archive that would be accessible only via a pass-phrase/password on an external HD, so that only the person knowing the pass-phrase/password would be able to access it no matter the machine.

I just started to use Ubuntu and I am a bit confused regarding difference between pass-phrase and password. I am learning.

Thanks a lot again!

Nepherte
April 15th, 2009, 06:58 PM
You can indeed create a ext3 partition. You can then access the directories if you have the same username, otherwise you simply can't.

My aim is to make kind of archive that would be accessible only via a pass-phrase/password on an external HD, so that only the person knowing the pass-phrase/password would be able to access it no matter the machine.
Perhaps you're better off with encryption. Something like TrueCrypt which can be used on any filesystem and many operating systems.

To get back on your home directory, I suggest you check the permissions of that directory with:

ls -l /home
and post them here, so we can verify others can't read it.

Regele IONESCU
April 17th, 2009, 08:10 AM
drwxr-xr-x 53 admiral admiral 4096 2009-04-17 00:48 admiral

Bachstelze
April 17th, 2009, 11:37 AM
drwxr-xr-x 53 admiral admiral 4096 2009-04-17 00:48 admiral

That means everyone can read your home directory. If you want to change this, do

chmod -R o= $HOME

To setup a private encrypted folder, see this howto (http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/08/07/create-an-encrypted-private-directory-with-ecryptfs/). Note this is not the same as using UNIX permissions. If you merely chmod 700 something, anyone will be able to access it by stealing your hard drive, or even just using a Live CD on the machine while you're looking away.

Regele IONESCU
April 17th, 2009, 02:36 PM
That means everyone can read your home directory. If you want to change this, do

chmod -R o= $HOME

To setup a private encrypted folder, see this howto (http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/08/07/create-an-encrypted-private-directory-with-ecryptfs/). Note this is not the same as using UNIX permissions. If you merely chmod 700 something, anyone will be able to access it by stealing your hard drive, or even just using a Live CD on the machine while you're looking away.

Just got an "operation not permitted". Does it mean someone has taken over my computer?

Bachstelze
April 17th, 2009, 03:22 PM
The directory is owned by user admiral. Is that you?

Just in case, paste the output of those commands :

whoami
echo $HOME
ls -ld $HOME

Regele IONESCU
April 17th, 2009, 03:28 PM
The full answer to the first command is:

chmod: changing permissions of `/home/admiral/doi.mov': Operation not permitted

and for the last one is:

drwxr-x--- 55 admiral admiral 4096 2009-04-17 16:07 /home/admiral

I see that what was 53 is now 55. Does it mean anything?

Is "drwxr-xr-x 53 admiral admiral 4096 2009-04-17 00:48 admiral" kind of key to access my computer or simply states that is not protected enough?

Bachstelze
April 17th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Okay so you have a file in your home directory that is not owned by you. Therefore, you can't change its permissions. To give yourself ownership of your home directory and everything inside it, do

sudo chown -R admiral /home/admiral

As for the permissions, drwxr-xr-x means that you (the owner) have read-write access to the directory in question, and everyone else has read-only access. As you can see, it was modified to drwxr-x--- which means that you have read-write access and everyone else has no access at all (see how the last three characters changed from r-x to ---).

Regele IONESCU
April 17th, 2009, 04:27 PM
admiral@parahod:~$ sudo chown -R admiral /home/admiral
[sudo] password for admiral:
chown: cannot access `/home/admiral/.gvfs': Permission denied
admiral@parahod:~$

I created that file using Cinelerra hi-pr(only admins). This is the sure reason I have no access to it or I lost the right to it.

Prior to reading your post, I saw a small window saying ”Launching” but I was unable to switch to it and therefor unable to see what was launching. Does it mean that someone got into my computer?

Bachstelze
April 17th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Does it mean that someone got into my computer?

That's very unlikely, unless you have a SSH or Telnet server running. ~/.gvfs is a Gnome thing so I can't help you with it. Maybe you need to be logged out to change its permissions?

Regele IONESCU
April 17th, 2009, 06:53 PM
That's very unlikely, unless you have a SSH or Telnet server running. ~/.gvfs is a Gnome thing so I can't help you with it. Maybe you need to be logged out to change its permissions?

I have no server running. As far as I know, Ubuntu Studio does not install a server and I have not chosen to install one. Anyway, thank you very much for helping me clarify some things.

cariboo
April 17th, 2009, 07:18 PM
.gvfs runs with a permission of 500 which means it is set to read by owner, search/execute by owner. It is needed by nautilus to mount shared folders. For instance if you have a server with shared folders, nautilus will automagically mount the folders.

chown: cannot access `/home/admiral/.gvfs': Permission denied

that is normal.

Jim

Regele IONESCU
April 18th, 2009, 04:48 AM
.gvfs runs with a permission of 500 which means it is set to read by owner, search/execute by owner. It is needed by nautilus to mount shared folders. For instance if you have a server with shared folders, nautilus will automagically mount the folders.

that is normal.

Jim

Thank you Jim! I managed to see that launching screen. It says "launching http cache cleaner" so I think it is ok.