PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Won't accept my WPA personal passphrase

konf300
April 14th, 2009, 01:33 AM
A big hello from a recent convert to all fellow linuxers.

It's been 2 days since I've abandoned the ranks of windoes now and I had managed so far without resorting to your kind help, but now I think I've given up and here I am. Also please bear with me as I'm not yet totally familiar with the linux jargon but I'm doing my best here.

Long story short, here's my issue. I have rtfm to install ndiswrapper and my wireless adapter driver is working just fine - at least I'm seeing "enable wireless" option when I right-click the network manager and I can see a list of available routers when I left click on the tray icon.

I even managed to connect to my router the first time I had toyed around with network manager and had internet connection for about 5 minutes (cue victory cry here). But then I lost connection and I've been in the dark ever since.

Now when I try to connect, I get a small popup window asking for WPA(personal) key. I type my passphrase (I'm sure it is correct), the two dots on the systray get moving but it won't connect and about 1 minute later, I get the same popup window asking for WPA but this time when I click show my passphrase, I'll get what looks like an encrypted string. I have tried manually replacing it with my regular passphrase to no avail.

My wireless modem/router is a USR9110. My wireless adapter is AirTies WUS-300 (usb stick). Ubuntu version 8.10.

Here is some info I've gathered after trying what seemed like an endless list of terminal commands:

*-network:0
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 1
logical name: wlan0
serial: 00:60:b3:3c:bd:18
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ndiswrapper+tusb1150 driverversion=1.53
+Airties,06/01/2005,7.2.2.42 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g
*-network:1 DISABLED
description: Ethernet interface
physical id: 2
logical name: pan0
serial: 6e:3c:5b:af:b2:6f
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A multicast=yes

Also here's something from 192.168.2.1's Wireless Security settings:

Cypher suite: TKIP
Authentication: Pre-shared Key
Pre-shared key type: Passphrase
Group Key Re-keying: disabled

inb4 rtfm - it's the only thing I've been doing forever. I'm almost convinced that Linux is not for everyone, so maybe you guys should change your motto to "... for ultrasmart Human beings".

SOSv2
September 25th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Hi,

did you get a solution for this? I havve the exact same problem and starting to get "disgusted" with Linux on this point as I already spoiled several hours trying to search for a solution.

Thanks,

SOSv2

billconan
October 14th, 2009, 11:32 PM
i have the same problem, but haven't found any solution.

_sluimers_
November 2nd, 2009, 02:02 PM
Same here, grrrrr.... and I ordered the USB network stick from linux emporium. I'm downloading the latest the latest driver, but doubt it'll work.

ArcaVex
November 2nd, 2009, 05:34 PM
Personally i removed Network-manager and installed WICD (using a wired connection)

I was previously using network-manager and WEP encryption to test, and it would ask for the key, say "validating authentication", hang for a minute, then ask for the wep key again.

Some others, including myself have also found that entering the key/passphrase using iwconfig (from terminal) has helped it connect. I currently run a script to connect to wireless along the lines of

sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid networkssid
iwconfig wlan0 key wepkey
dhclient wlan0

MrDead
November 2nd, 2009, 05:45 PM
I am currently having the same problem that ArcaVex described and I posted on the forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1308780, but I didn't get any reponse. I'm gonna boot into 9.10 now and see if it works.