PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] if i install the kde enviroment alongside ubuntu will it slow down anything

djmh
April 13th, 2009, 05:02 PM
i was going to use (sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop)
so i could try out the kde desktop , but if i do install it how much hd space will it take ?
and will it slow down ubuntu if i have it installed ?
btw i have one gig of ram and a 16 gig sdd with ubuntu jaunty jackalope installed .

Kosimo
April 13th, 2009, 05:04 PM
i was going to use (sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop)
so i could try out the kde desktop , but if i do install it how much hd space will it take ?
and will it slow down ubuntu if i have it installed ?
btw i have one gig of ram and a 16 gig sdd with ubuntu jaunty jackalope installed .

It shouldn't slow down your Ubuntu machine at all, but you'll have a lot more dependencies installed (all KDE) which I guess is about 666MB

djmh
April 13th, 2009, 05:07 PM
well im not really all that worried about install size , cause im going to delete the one that i dont like as much
but for a little while im going to have them both so i dont want there to be any slow down.
if you say there wont be any slow down though thanks for the help :) .

djmh
April 13th, 2009, 05:09 PM
666mb is just a little over half a gig right ?

Kosimo
April 13th, 2009, 05:16 PM
666mb is just a little over half a gig right ?

Exactly. Even if is not totally correct you can say that 666MB are about 0.6GB

Hospadar
April 13th, 2009, 05:31 PM
You'll be given the option on login which environment you'd like to start into, if you don't start into KDE, it won't start any extra load on your machine other than the disk space the kde installation takes up.

djmh
April 13th, 2009, 05:37 PM
thanks evryone !
for anyones reference it turns out its 709 mb