PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu battery life?

crispeto
April 12th, 2009, 05:26 AM
I have an Asus 1000he netbook that is supposed to get 9.5 hrs of battery life. I knew that was stretching it but I find I only get about 5.5 hrs. I never even allowed WinXP to boot up before I erased it and put Ubuntu on so I can't say how long it lasts with Windows. I have the screen dimmed quite a bit. Does the Ubuntu OS suck up battery life more than Win does?

defaultusername
April 12th, 2009, 05:40 AM
crispeto,

Let us not forget that Windows XP is nearly a decade old. It's capable of running on much older hardware configurations than recent versions of Ubuntu. Increased power consumption under Ubuntu might result from more hardware-intensive applications being run by default than on XP. I would imagine that 9 hours doesn't mean "9 hours playing games and watching DVDs," even with the new Atom.

CrazyClone
April 12th, 2009, 06:15 AM
The "9 hours" is of course only an estimate, and usually the laptop is just left on for the 9 hours doing... nothing. Like defaultusername said, ubuntu has increased in Hardware use over the last few releases. Maybe try Xubuntu? I don't know if that will make much of a difference, but try it.

crispeto
April 12th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I'm complaining. I really like Ubuntu and totally plan on keeping it. I was just curious about the differences between the two OS's.

crispeto
April 12th, 2009, 06:45 AM
You know what's interesting, I installed the battery monitor screen-let and it seems to keep up with the battery life better than the default system. It actually adjusts when I dim and brighten the screen. Right now the default tray battery icon says 3:30 left and the screenlet one says 4:30 left. I think I'll believe the screen-let one:)

defaultusername
April 12th, 2009, 06:49 AM
crispeto,

Avoiding KDE/Gnome and more resource-hungry applications might increase your battery life.