PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] VERY slow internet...!@#$

nickgaydos
April 12th, 2009, 04:56 AM
I am currently having VERY VERY slow internet speeds. My ISP is Verizon Online and the normal speeds are around 128KPBS-300KPBS but they dropped down to at least 8KPBS. Two other computers and myself are connected to a residential gateway device which is connected to the router which serves at least four other computers and the router is connected to a modem that is strung out through the phone line. Web pages are rendering slow, cannot watch videos online and cannot play World of Warcraft that easily. Please help, this has happened before but it went away (I don't know how). Thanks in advance.

lisati
April 12th, 2009, 04:58 AM
If you're using ADSL (or similar) and all your computers are affected, you might want to check your line filters.

nickgaydos
April 12th, 2009, 05:09 AM
If you're using ADSL (or similar) and all your computers are affected, you might want to check your line filters.
Not entirely sure what that means, but this is just random, two hours ago it was normal. Can it just be that it's just night time? I mean, during the day when it WAS working, the videos buffered correctly. In the night, they were slower.

lisati
April 12th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Not entirely sure what that means, but this is just random, two hours ago it was normal. Can it just be that it's just night time? I mean, during the day when it WAS working, the videos buffered correctly. In the night, they were slower.

Quite possibly: there are a number of things which can mess with your connection speed, and time of day is one of them (e.g. when there are a lot of people using internet in your area). I've even had the weather interfere with my connection - on one occasion rain water had leaked into the underground cable on a street near my place, and I was without a proper phone service and internet connection for a couple of days.

nickgaydos
April 12th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Quite possibly: there are a number of things which can mess with your connection speed, and time of day is one of them (e.g. when there are a lot of people using internet in your area). I've even had the weather interfere with my connection - on one occasion rain water had leaked into the underground cable on a street near my place, and I was without a proper phone service and internet connection for a couple of days.

We just had a rain storm here in Monmouth County, New Jersey but my internet was fine throughout it. There's only one person connected at the moment, by connected I mean online like browsing the internet.

nickgaydos
April 12th, 2009, 05:54 AM

Everything seems to be normal now....strange....maybe verizon was doing something...I dont know....now I can play WoW in peace >:D Thanks for your replies man.

lisati
April 12th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Everything seems to be normal now....strange....maybe verizon was doing something...I dont know....now I can play WoW in peace >:D Thanks for your replies man.

You're welcome.
Maybe Verizon was doing something: I sometimes get conenction hassles around midnight, and guess that the ISP I use might be doing things then too.