PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] How to EDIT apps and media menus in gnome

kallenes
April 11th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Need some help ... was wondering if it's possible to edit or customize the Left Application Menu and the Right Media Menu on the GNOME desktop?

For instance i would like to remove Universal Access from the App Menu.
And add my Desktop Folder to the Media Menu.

I've read that it can be done, but nowhere do i see how?

Thx

leonardo_neo
April 11th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Right click on the main menu----> Edit minus

Is that what you are looking for??

kallenes
April 11th, 2009, 08:58 PM
thx, foolish of me ... not to see the main menu icon.
great ... but it seems that i can only customize the apps (left) menu. how and from where can i edit the media (right) menu from?

coffeecat
April 11th, 2009, 09:36 PM
What do you mean by the right media menu? Do you mean the middle 'Places' menu between Applications and System? Or is this a panel applet you've added?

A screenshot might be helpful.

kallenes
April 11th, 2009, 09:50 PM
took a screenshot but not allowed to attach, only from a URL. sorry.

the Media Menu looks like the apps menu, but it's on the right hand side of the desktop.
it contains browsing links like home folder / network / pictures / music / usb dvd rom etc etc.

how do i edit them?

coffeecat
April 11th, 2009, 10:09 PM
how do i edit them?

I have no idea. It is not part of the standard Ubuntu gnome desktop. It must be something you installed. Is it a panel app or something on the desktop?

took a screenshot but not allowed to attach, only from a URL. sorry.

Yes you can. When you post, click on the 'Manage Attachments' button under 'Additional Options' and upload your image.

kallenes
April 11th, 2009, 10:46 PM
was using quick reply and didn't see the attachment feature. thanks for the tip.
here's my screenshot

coffeecat
April 11th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Ah! A blazing shaft of light illuminates my consciousness. :wink: What is that they say about one picture being worth a thousand words?

That's the Ubuntu netbook remix desktop. I thought you were talking about the standard gnome desktop. The nr desktop is marvellous, isn't it? I'm afraid I don't know how to edit those folders and things on the right - the few times I've used that desktop I've been happy with it as it is.

If someone else doesn't come in with an answer, I suggest you start a new thread with the words 'netbook remix desktop'. Or you could search the forum for netbook remix. Someone must know.

Good luck!

kallenes
April 12th, 2009, 01:22 AM
it's funny that my current OS seems to have so many names.
i've installed Easy Peasy 1.0. and done some updates etc.
depending on what theme i use i get ... ubuntu, ubuntu eee, easy peasy, and as you say netbook remix. (or is that just what the desktop is called?)
i know that easy peasy is from ubuntu. but what with all these names?

anyways, thanks for your help.
fyi - the left side menu can be customized from preferences->main menu

coffeecat
April 12th, 2009, 12:23 PM
As far as I understand, the netbook remix interface was developed by Canonical (the company behind Ubuntu) in collaboration with Dell who wanted an interface suitable for netbooks for when they released their netbooks with Ubuntu. Of course, being open source it meant that any developer was permitted to pick up the code for netbook remix and adapt it for their own use. Hence all these eesy-peesies, eeeeeeeeebuntu, and the like. :wink: They're mostly custom respins developed by just a couple or handful of enthusiasts.

Ubuntu itself is working on a freely available netbook remix version of the upcoming Jaunty release. I've installed the Beta version on my EeePC and it runs very well. But I haven't run it enough to be really familiar with it, which is why I didn't realise what you meant by the media menus.

Best of luck with editing those menus. :)

kallenes
April 12th, 2009, 05:34 PM
thx for all the info .. completely understand it now.
if possible, can you post a screenshot of the Jaunty Beta your using .. maybe i'll upgrade.

coffeecat
April 13th, 2009, 01:46 PM
if possible, can you post a screenshot of the Jaunty Beta your using .. maybe i'll upgrade.

This is the official Ubuntu Netbook Remix version of Jaunty Beta I'm using. Download here (http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/jaunty/beta).

I'd forgotten what a fiddle the 7" screen on my Eee701 was, I use it so infrequently. :(

Anyway, one screenshot as requested:

kallenes
April 13th, 2009, 03:37 PM
almost identical to 8.10 .. visually that is.
my friend has the 701, it's my favorite of them all.
you also have a media menu on the right. btw - i still haven't figured out how to edit it.

thx for the screenshot.