View Full Version : [ubuntu] GDM prroblem

April 11th, 2009, 12:25 PM
hi...my problem is that my gnome display manager does not load at startup. When I write
sudo gdm
then I get the following error message:
symbol lookup error /usr/lib/libgio-2.0.so.0:undefined symbol: g_thread_gettime

please help...

April 11th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Try going into the console mode (control + alt + F1 - F6) then running nautilus to see if you can get the X server running on there. If you can, just run nautilus again, and see what happens. You should get into a graphical display from there.

April 11th, 2009, 01:35 PM
My computer is starting in terminal mode only. And when I type:
nautilus or sudo nautilus
I get the same error message as above.i.e.
symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgio-2.0.so.0:undefined symbol: g_thread_gettime

April 11th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Are you connected to the Internet, if you are, try using sudo apt-get install and sudo apt-get autoremove to uninstall then reinstall gnome/kde.

April 11th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I was connected to net through college proxy which means I have to login after opening my browser window. Now I cannot do that. Can I download a .deb package from somewhere and install it in my laptop?
If yes then please can you give me the link?

April 12th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Urm, sure I'll try, but how are you using the Internet to use the forums, if you can somewhat transfer the *.deb file on this link:
to the Ubuntu PC and try installing it from there, it should help. After downloading, use the terminal to cd to the directory you stored it in, and use
dpkg -i (package name) to install. I'm not sure what the official package name is, I think it's either
gnome-desktop or