PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Proxim B11FNF-USB

gsk3
April 10th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Hi everyone,
I've got a Proxim 802.11 USB card that I need to get working. This is an Athlon 64 box running 32-bit Desktop Intrepid.

lsusb -v shows it as:
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bb2:0304 Ambit Microsystems Corp

ifconfig only shows eth0 (the wired port built into the motherboard), and iwconfig shows:
lo no wireless extensions.
eth0 no wireless extensions.
pan0 no wireless extensions.

From some Googling (which returned sadly little), it appears that this card will work with the prism_usb driver. However, lsmod and dmesg turn up nothing useful in that department. find / -name prism_usb* also turns up nothing, despite the kernel config file that Ubutnu seems to have used (/boot/config-2.6.27-11-generic) seeming to have Prism support turned on (not sure if it's USB-specific or not).

lshw -C network returns:
*-network DISABLED
description:Ethernet interface
physical id:1
logical name: pan0
capabilities ethernet physical

Is prism_usb the right one? If so, how do I go about finding where the package was installed to (if even a package was installed by default)? If there's no package installed by default, is there a package to be downloaded, or must I go find the code somewhere and install it from scratch.

Sorry about the questions, and thanks in advance.

gsk3
April 11th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Update with a slightly stupider question:
It turns out the driver I should have been looking for was prism2_usb. I have loaded that:
modprobe prism2_usb
prism2usb_init: prism2usb.o: 0.2.9 Loaded
prism2usb_init: devinfo is: prism2usb
usbcore: registered new interface driver prism2_usb

But still no dice with ifconfig. I tried adding it to /etc/modules and restarting, also to no avail.

lsmod | grep -e "prism2_usb"
Module Size Used_By
prism2_usb 80260 0
p80211 38536 1 prism2_usb
usbcore 149360 10 prism2_usb,[....]

ifconfig, iwconfig, and lshc return the same as before.

Thanks for any help you can give!