PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Bootmanager

TempleClause
April 10th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Hello,

I've installed Ubuntu to my external HDD via usb. But now i'm just seeing Vista and Xp which I could start. But Linux isn't there. I heard that I could add it with EasyBCD but that didn't work.

Greets

meierfra.
April 10th, 2009, 08:51 PM
See what happens if you set your bios to boot from the USB drive.

TempleClause
April 10th, 2009, 10:57 PM
I've allready tried that but than it's showing just the normal bootmanager as usual

Greets

flyingsliverfin
April 10th, 2009, 11:02 PM
can you boot from a cd?

otherwise, just as a test, you could install ubuntu onto ur USB memory stick, (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ubuntu-810-install-using-the-built-in-usb-installer/ if you don't know how), then boot from the mem stick. just erase everything afterward to get ur mem stick back to normal. you might need to format again though.

if that works it should tell u if its a problem with the HDD or the computer.

TempleClause
April 10th, 2009, 11:04 PM
yes i can boot from a CD .. i'm not that stupid ;-) I'm allthough an IT student xD

Greets

flyingsliverfin
April 10th, 2009, 11:08 PM
how am I supposed to know how old or experienced you are? Just to make a point try to guess what my age is. what about the usb memory stick test? does it work>

TempleClause
April 10th, 2009, 11:12 PM
didn't wanted to attack you or something ! i'm doing it in the moment..

flyingsliverfin
April 10th, 2009, 11:15 PM
lol its fine. its actually a family trait to like argueing and making points. my mom, dad, grand parents on both sides all love to do that and debate too.

but still, I don't think that you would have thought im 13.

meierfra.
April 10th, 2009, 11:18 PM
In order to get a clearer picture of your setup, I suggest to boot from the Ubuntu LiveCD and download the Boot Info Script to your desktop:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/

Then open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and type:

sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh

That will create a "RESULTS.txt" file in the same directory from where the script is run, namely your desktop; please copy/paste the contents of the RESULTS.txt file to your next post (use the code tags).

TempleClause
April 10th, 2009, 11:19 PM
No I wouldn't xD
That's acctually a bit emberassing for me :D I'm 16 ^^

TempleClause
April 10th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Probably it's easier when you tell me how to do it than when we try to fix my crappy work :D.

So that's what I would like to have. I would like the Laptop to boot automaticly into Ubuntu when I plugged in my external USB HDD. Otherwise Windows should boot up normally.

Greetings

flyingsliverfin
April 10th, 2009, 11:28 PM
what was the result of the test that you did w/ theusb stick?

srry, I have to go do something. might be back in about 2 hours.

TempleClause
April 10th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Emm acutally couldn't do it probably because my stick is formated as NTFS and not as Fat32 ...

flyingsliverfin
April 10th, 2009, 11:34 PM
time for 1 more post:

back up ur files and format it again to fat32. its really easy from ubuntu live cd. btw; don't format anything but ur memory stick. you'll probably lose ur vista or whatever else you have if you do. use gparted (easiest)

also do what meierfra. said. he's probably more helpful than me. I really know very little. lol

TempleClause
April 10th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I formated it as Fat32 but still i can't make a USB Startup Disk....

flyingsliverfin
April 11th, 2009, 05:26 AM
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ubuntu-810-install-using-the-built-in-usb-installer/

should work...