PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Prospective new user seeks advice!

Ratae1
April 10th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Hello everyone,I'm an old feller that's reasonably savvy with computers, but only those running windows xp (pro&home).
Anyway...I have been given an old laptop to have a play with,as I already have two lappies running windows systems,I've decided to try something different with this one.
I've wiped the hdd of this lappy and I've burned Linux Ubuntu 8.10 to a cd-rom.I should perhaps mention that I've tried this once before on a pals machine,but that machine wasn't w/less enabled, and I couldn't get Ubuntu to recognise his netgear w/less adapter, so that project was abandoned!
This machine however, is w/less and has a Dell w/less 1390 WLAN Mini-card.Will Ubuntu recognise this card, or is something else required for w/less to work?
Any and all advise will be appreciated, but please 'walk me through' such advice,as I'm afraid this old dog is difficult to teach new tricks!;)
If you've got this far,thanks for being so patient!=D>

drs305
April 10th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I did a search on this forum for Dell 1390 and found posts about this card. This one provided a simple solution for getting the card to work:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6948594

I was in a similar situation as you years ago, not having used linux but being fairly competent with Windows. After trying another version of linux I was generally disappointed and tried ubuntu. I've never looked back.

It's especially enjoyable trying it out on an extra machine so you have time to experiment with things.

Welcome to ubuntu!

superprash2003
April 10th, 2009, 05:32 PM
yes.. its usually a broadcom card.. it should work.. is this a dell vostro or a dell inspiron?

Ratae1
April 10th, 2009, 06:09 PM
yes.. its usually a broadcom card.. it should work.. is this a dell vostro or a dell inspiron?

It's a Dell Latitude D531!

Ratae1
April 11th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Ok fellas thanks..I've now got my w/less internet running!