PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I determine my chipset?

CynicalPsycho
April 10th, 2009, 01:25 AM
i'm running an intel(r) wifi link 5100 agn.
and I can't for the life of me figure out what chipset i'm running...
could anyone help me out here?

bertolo
April 10th, 2009, 02:38 AM
that's kind of a stupid question. we can only help you googling. and googling it's what you should have done before asking.

apologise:when i said your question was stupid, i didn't mean it and i do not have intention to hurt noone.
i am sorry for the miss understood.

chili555
April 10th, 2009, 02:44 AM
i'm running an intel(r) wifi link 5100 agn.
and I can't for the life of me figure out what chipset i'm running...
could anyone help me out here?Open up a terminal and type:
sudo lshw -C networkYour ethernet and wireless devices will be shown. Opposite product, you will find the information you need. Search this forum and you will see a few people that have made it work. Post back if you get stuck.

bertolo
April 10th, 2009, 02:47 AM
googling it's much more obvious

calvinps
April 10th, 2009, 02:56 AM

Googling is unreliable, though. And if he tried a command from a fake site, his computer would crash.

:|

bertolo
April 10th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Googling is unreliable, though. And if he tried a command from a fake site, his computer would crash.

:|

AHAHAHHAHHAHAAH
are out of your mind ?
i use google 200 times a day everyday and never get that computer crash. ROTFL

just go to manufacturer's website

tturrisi
April 10th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Um...all Intel devices have Intel chipsets.
Yours has the Intel 5100 chipset!

http://intellinuxwireless.org/

CynicalPsycho
April 11th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Open up a terminal and type:
sudo lshw -C networkYour ethernet and wireless devices will be shown. Opposite product, you will find the information you need. Search this forum and you will see a few people that have made it work. Post back if you get stuck.thanks chili here's what i got from it for my wifi...

description: Wireless interface
product: Wireless WiFi Link 5100
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
logical name: wmaster0
version: 00
serial: xxxxxxx
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list logical ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlagn ip=xxxxxxxxx latency=0 module=iwlagn multicast=yes wireless=IE
good info there (and glad i learned that command) but unless i'm mistaken (am i mistaken?), not the info i'm lookin for.

lisati
April 11th, 2009, 12:15 AM
lspci and dmidecode are also useful for figuring out what's "under the hood"

CynicalPsycho
April 11th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Um...all Intel devices have Intel chipsets.
Yours has the Intel 5100 chipset!

http://intellinuxwireless.org/
Hmmm that seems almost too easy... heh, thanks. Curious though, where did you determine this?

also... I checked out the site, but wasn't sure why it was pertinent. Could you explain?

CynicalPsycho
April 11th, 2009, 12:31 AM
that's kind of a stupid question. we can only help you googling. and googling it's what you should have done before asking.

Obviously this is the first thing I did... I wouldn't just come to a forum blindly asking a question without putting in at least a little effort myself. Infact I'd much rather discover the answer myself than have someone else give it to me. But in this case after about an hour of looking, google couldn't come through for me. which is why I came here. OBVIOUSLY...

You know you seem like a real smart guy with all your pompous arrogance, so why don't you put those smarts to use by actually helping people instead of being a demeaning ******* who ignorantly makes baseless assumptions so as to make himself look 'cool' on the internet.

Yes dumdum, everyone knows to use google... but even google doesn't have all the answers all the time. If it did, people wouldn't need forums like this...

CynicalPsycho
April 11th, 2009, 12:46 AM
lspci and dmidecode are also useful for figuring out what's "under the hood"

thanks man... I always love learnin this new stuff.

chili555
April 11th, 2009, 02:24 AM
thanks chili here's what i got from it for my wifi...

good info there (and glad i learned that command) but unless i'm mistaken (am i mistaken?), not the info i'm lookin for.All there is to know about your chipset is:
product: Wireless WiFi Link 5100
vendor: Intel CorporationI suggest both an advanced search here for 'Intel 5100 packet injection' as well as an advanced search for the same terms on Google. I don't know for sure, but my guess is packet injection does not work with your chipset. If I am right or wrong, please post back and tell us so the searchers can find it.

DirtDawg
April 11th, 2009, 02:49 AM
FYI, check out Sysinfo if you haven't already. It's in the repositories and is a simple but well designed little GUI app that displays your system information (including hardware).

sudo apt-get install sysinfo

CynicalPsycho
April 11th, 2009, 04:14 AM
All there is to know about your chipset is:I suggest both an advanced search here for 'Intel 5100 packet injection' as well as an advanced search for the same terms on Google. I don't know for sure, but my guess is packet injection does not work with your chipset. If I am right or wrong, please post back and tell us so the searchers can find it.

Injection does not work with that card. I just bought a Linksys wireless n usb network adapter wusb6000n. it's got a RT2870 chipset which is so maybe it'll give me better luck than the previous... and if not... i'll take advantage of bestbuys return policy :P.

I'll post if I have any luck.

lensman3
April 11th, 2009, 06:22 AM
It is easy!

Do a lspci and find the card/device you need to identify. The report will start with a number like 00:1f.3. Remember this number. Then run "lspci -n"
and using the remembered number you will find another number with the format of xxxx:yyyy. Take this number and enter it into google along with the card manufacture (if you know it). This number is the "assigned" pci device number from "whomever assigns pci numbers".

For instance on my machine the lspci -nn
4:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 01)
has this for the result of my Ethernet card. The number 10ec:8168 is unique for this card

"lspci -nn" will also tell you more about the device/card.

See if somebody on google has already had the same problem and has fixed it.

Hope this helps.

CynicalPsycho
April 11th, 2009, 04:51 PM
PERFECT!
thanks!

It is easy!

Do a lspci and find the card/device you need to identify. The report will start with a number like 00:1f.3. Remember this number. Then run "lspci -n"
and using the remembered number you will find another number with the format of xxxx:yyyy. Take this number and enter it into google along with the card manufacture (if you know it). This number is the "assigned" pci device number from "whomever assigns pci numbers".

For instance on my machine the lspci -nn
4:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 01)
has this for the result of my Ethernet card. The number 10ec:8168 is unique for this card

"lspci -nn" will also tell you more about the device/card.

See if somebody on google has already had the same problem and has fixed it.

Hope this helps.