PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dell Inspiron 9400 Ubuntu 8.10

rexless
April 10th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Greetings.
I've run various versions of Ubuntu (7+) on my Dell Inspiron but ended up having to go back to Windows for various reasons. Now I've gone ahead and installed 8.10 and run windows in the virtualbox virtualization environment.

Problems
1) I have the latest Geforce 7900 proprietary drivers installed, but on boot up the splash screen with the loading bar is all scrambled. Same on the shutdown splash screen.

2) Typing this message is driving me nuts. My cursor keeps jumping around and landing me at random spots of other sentences etc.

3) My Intel wireless doesn't seem to work.

4) The status bar (that shows how far the process is) when adding software etc. doesn't progress left to right... it jumps around.

Fortunately so far these are not preventing me from using the machine which is cool. I remember having a few issues with 7.x but it seems things have become worse in 8.10...

rexless
April 16th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Most of this seems to now be working. I've come across a couple useful tools including the start manager and touchfreeze. The rest seems to have been resolved by recent updates... I think. It's working whatever it was.

Sarah_Mojacar
April 16th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Hi Rexless,

I had a similar problem on upgrading my Inspiron 1525 from 8.4 to 8.10, this too appears to have corrected itself apart from the wireless indicator which is constantly flashing. Could you point me at the tools you found.
Many thanks
Sarah