PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Laptop locks up in specific lecture hall

Stoptheglaciers
April 9th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I'm a college student, computer science major, and I'm having some problems with my laptop running 8.10. I use this laptop all over the school, in the library, and in a good portion of my classes. There is one specific lecture hall however, that when ever I use my laptop it will lock up after anywhere from 2-20 minutes of use, forcing me to restart. I don't believe it's a hardware problem because I have used the laptop in this lecture hall running XP before without any issues. This is a pretty large 200+ capacity hall, with a number of people using laptops at any given time. The only thing I can think of up to this point is some type of network interference from the other laptops that is causing a wireless network error, causing the system to lock. Other than that I'm pretty much clueless as to what the problem is. Any suggestions?

Stoptheglaciers
April 9th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Forgot to mention that the lockup will happen only when I'm browsing the web.

Dale61
April 10th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I may be way off the mark here, but maybe NOT browse the web whilst in class :p and see if you still get lock-ups.

lisati
April 10th, 2009, 08:00 AM
One might wonder why you'd want to browse the web during class - I hope there's reason better than "boredom".

I'm inclined to the opinion that either there's some kind of clash with other wireless devices in the room (and don't forget to check bluetooth if your laptop has it) or someone else in the room is bored and up to mischief of some kind.

Dale61
April 10th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Another question would be that with the OP studying computer science, why come here for an answer on why a laptop locks up?

Stoptheglaciers
April 10th, 2009, 06:29 PM
One might wonder why you'd want to browse the web during class - I hope there's reason better than "boredom".

My work requires me to do a lot of email correspondence, and I find this class to be one of the only times I can site down to get it done during the day. So by "web browsing" I didn't mean facebook :)

Another question would be that with the OP studying computer science, why come here for an answer on why a laptop locks up?

I'm a first year CS major, so what little I have studied thus far is mainly introduction programming, principles of OOP in Java, data structures, etc. So basically we haven't really covered anything up to this point that would help me figure this out. That's why I come to the wealth of knowledge that is the Ubuntu Community.