PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] wless stop & go when working, hit or miss on restart PLEASE HELP!

Toady00
April 9th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I'm running ubuntu 8.10. I have a dell inspirion e1705 laptop. I'm using the STA driver & my chipset is BCM4328.

Problems:
1. Wireless card sometimes doesn't come on when restarted. Maybe 1 out of 5 restarts.
2. When it is working it it stays connected to the wireless network but, downloading files or loading webpages just stops out of nowhere for a few minutes and then starts back.
3.Wireless is slower than I think it should be for a draft n network. If I right click on wireless connections and look at connection information it says only 2Mb/s.

Here are the results from some of the commands the sticky suggests. I have omited some of the info I don't think is relevant but if there is something missing let me know and I'll repost the command results. Thanks everybody for their help.

brandon@brandon-laptop:~$ lspci
0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 01)

brandon@brandon-laptop:~$ lspci -v | less
0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 01)
Subsystem: Dell Device 0009
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
Memory at efdfc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=1M]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: wl
Kernel modules: wl, ssb

brandon@brandon-laptop:~$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth1 IEEE 802.11 Nickname:""
Access Point: Not-Associated

eth0 no wireless extensions.

pan0 no wireless extensions.

This result is from restart when wireless IS NOT working

brandon@brandon-laptop:~$ sudo lshw -C network
[sudo] password for brandon:
*-network
description: Network controller
product: BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:0c:00.0
version: 01
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=0 module=ssb

This result is from restart when wireless IS working

brandon@brandon-laptop:~$ sudo lshw -C network
[sudo] password for brandon:
*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:0c:00.0
logical name: eth1
version: 01
serial: 00:16:cf:3d:0b:a0
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=wl0 driverversion=5.10.27.12 ip=192.168.0.199 latency=0 module=wl multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abgn

Toady00
April 10th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Should I try to use ndiswrapper instead?

Toady00
April 11th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Somebody please help! I don't know how to fix this.

PGrey
April 13th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I'm having a similar problem with the same hardware. I can not find help anywhere on how to fix it. SInce it has been 5 days have you found a resolution yet?

Toady00
April 17th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I'm having a similar problem with the same hardware. I can not find help anywhere on how to fix it. SInce it has been 5 days have you found a resolution yet?

No. I tried using ndiswrapper, and it worked...for 2 mins. My speed went up from 2Mb/s to 130Mb/s (which is where it should be), and everything seemed fine, but after 2 mins it just quit transferring data to and from the router. I was still connected but I had no movement. And it would not start back until I rebooted. But then it did the same thing after about 2 mins. I tried to uninstall the ndiswrapper driver and go back to the sta driver and completely hosed my laptop. I ended up having to reinstall Ubuntu and to top it all off, I've been working on a website using xampp and I backed up my htdocs folder but I forgot to backup my include files, so I lost half my frigging website practically. I do not suggest using the ndiswrapper unless someone else has some extra steps to take that I missed and they know it works.

Ayuthia
April 18th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Can you post the results of:

dmesg|grep -e wl -e ndiswrapper

Toady00
April 18th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Can you post the results of:

dmesg|grep -e wl -e ndiswrapper

I nuked my system and went back to the STA driver. If you think you can help me, i'll re-install it. But I don't want to have to nuke my system again to get my wireless working again.

Toady00
July 12th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Anybody have any ideas. If I could get the wireless to work correctly, I would ditch windows all together, but I rely on a stable wireless connection for many things. Please Please help me out.