PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can I run ubuntu on this. . . . .

Sneblot
April 9th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I have an old Dell Latitude XPi with a 1.17Gb HDD and 16Mb of ram would I be able to run ubuntu on the machine as it has windows 95 on it at the moment and run quite well for a 12 year old laptop. If I cant run Ubuntu does anyone know what linux distro would be able to run it??

Carl H
April 9th, 2009, 03:24 PM
You'd be better off trying one of the lightweight distros that are more geared up to lower spec machines, like Damn Small Linux or Puppy.

Let us know how you get on. If you get it going with Linux, I might have a look on ebay for an old laptop and have a go myself.

compiledkernel
April 9th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Theoretically you could do a bootstrap install and then go from the ground up there.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

Ive done this install on something as small as a p2 class with 64megs of memory successfully.

riza hylviu
April 9th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I think it is too old for ubuntu. Puppy and damn small linux are good choices, but they come with older kernel i think. Vector linux comes with the newest kernel and is very light, you should try it first

Sneblot
April 9th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Actually there is one problem there is no CD Rom drive with this laptop so either I will have to go out and get an external one or do with out. Also does VectoLinux or Minimal Ubuntu have wireless ability's as I believe that I could fit a wireless card into one of the PCI slots available on the machine.

chessnerd
April 9th, 2009, 04:35 PM
If the laptop has a USB port you might be able to install Linux using a flashdrive, but you'll need to check the BIOS to see if you can boot into a USB drive. Most older computers can't, but it would be worth checking into before you spend $20 on a CD drive. (Plus, if it can't, you might not be able to use an external CD drive if it uses USB.)

Sneblot
April 9th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Yer it might boil down to me having to buy an extrenal CD rom drive.

stchman
April 9th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I have an old Dell Latitude XPi with a 1.17Gb HDD and 16Mb of ram would I be able to run ubuntu on the machine as it has windows 95 on it at the moment and run quite well for a 12 year old laptop. If I cant run Ubuntu does anyone know what linux distro would be able to run it??

Puppy would be a far better choice for that laptop.

askreet
April 9th, 2009, 06:53 PM
If the laptop has a USB port you might be able to install Linux using a flashdrive, but you'll need to check the BIOS to see if you can boot into a USB drive. Most older computers can't, but it would be worth checking into before you spend $20 on a CD drive. (Plus, if it can't, you might not be able to use an external CD drive if it uses USB.)

The system has 16MB of ram and a 1.17GB hard drive. Somehow I think it doesn't have EHCI USB Boot support... :)