PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partition Help needed, dual boot with xp and no space.

polkadotteapot
April 9th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Hello,

I've had a good search (of course!) but couldn't find a particular solution to this:

I'm dual booting xp and ubuntu 8.10 on my acer aspire one 120gb hard drive and I'm a noob. I also don't have access to an optical drive at the moment.

I'm now running out of space due to my downloading of things and I want to run ubuntu most of the time and keep xp for the occasional laugh.

I used wubi to install and set aside 10gb for ubuntu. Gparted shows me my device dev/sda 149.05 gib has two partitions under dev/sda2. One FAT32 with 4.03gb used out of 4.88, and one ntfs with 41.96gb used out of 144.17gb.

I want to allocate most of the space to ubuntu so I can download larger files than I currently have space for, apparently. I keep all my guff on an external hard drive but it's taken me a couple of weeks to get everything working, installed properly and set up the way I want on ubuntu to I really don't want to loose that.

Any help would be most appreciated.

polkadotteapot
April 9th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Basically I'm bumping and asking if I can just put a partition in to use on this os, is that doable without wiping everything? I don't really know about these things and all my scroogling hasn't helped much so far.

meierfra.
April 10th, 2009, 12:54 AM
You can resize the virtual disk used by Wubi with LVPM:

http://lubi.sourceforge.net/lvpm.html

(the instructions for resizing are close the end of the page)

But since you are now using Ubuntu as your main OS, you might consider converting your Wubi installation to a regular Ubuntu installation. This can also be done with LVPM.

polkadotteapot
April 10th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Thank you very much, that was just what I needed, even if I have proceeded to do my machine a diservice.

meierfra.
April 11th, 2009, 05:14 AM
even if I have proceeded to do my machine a diservice.
????????????????