PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows hard drive cause Linux to crash

reffu
April 8th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Specs:
MB- BIOSTAR P4M890-M7 TE
Hard drives- 400 gb Western Digital 7200 rpm 1 and half years old
30 gb Western Digital 7200 rpm pretty old(don't remember exactly it came with my old computer)
Ram- 4 gb 667 mhz
Video Card- 1 gb nvidia geforce 8500 gt
OS and partition layout- 400 gb hd seperated into 3 partitions (excluding swap) 1-Ubuntu 8.10 x64 newly formatted yesterday
2- ntfs formatted drive that i use for storage formatted about 6 months ago
3- windows XP Pro x64 formatted about 4 months ago
30 gb hd- 1 partition- Windows XP professional formatted about 5 months ago

My problem has been that in the last installation of Ubuntu (both 32 and 64 bit) whenever I try to access my 30gb hard drive from ubuntu my cursor will start freezing up every couple seconds for longer and longer periods of time until after about 20 or 30 seconds my computer completely freezes and restarts by itself after 5 seconds. I have no problems accessing it from my windows XP x64 installation but I can never get to files on it from ubuntu without it freezing up. It doesnt encounter any trouble mounting only when i open it with nautilus. I have run Windows chkdsk on it several times and every time it says errors have been fixed. however I encounter the same problem again after trying to access it with ubuntu.
I would appreciate if someone could explain what is wrong and how, if possible, to fix it.

Update: the problem only appears in Nautilus. Other file browsers and terminal have no problem. Still I'd like to be able to open it in nautilus. could someone help me figure out the problem please.

thanks,

Reffu