PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wacom Intuos4 on Ubuntu

Pages : 1 [2]

Favux
November 3rd, 2010, 05:30 PM
Alright, your model is in the udev wacom.rules table:

ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a", ATTRS{idProduct}=="00b8",
SYMLINK+="input/tablet-intuos4-4x6"

So the LWP (Linux Wacom Project) knows about it. They would be the ones to support the LED's. You could post on linuxwacom-discuss asking how to get the LED's to work, or if they do. And/or you could post on the bug tracker saying the LED's don't work. Any interest in doing any of that?

What exactly are the LED's suppose to do? What do they tell you?

cordoval
November 3rd, 2010, 07:27 PM
ok I will post on their site http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/

I am again confused as you earlier said this was taken off from their hands and passed onto X server people...

The LEDs functionality is as follows (in my opinion):
- you click center button: button1 once
- the second LED lit up
- you click center button: button1 again
- the third LED lit up
- the fourth LED lit up
- it comes back to the first

In each setting you can use the touch ring/wheel to +/- the characteristic of your setting be it zooming, size of brush, etc. Of course depending on which LED is liting up at the moment.

I wonder why not other people have mentioned this before.

PS> I will try to link back from the http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/ site so that this thread of ours can get some resolution.

Favux
November 3rd, 2010, 07:33 PM
Hi Luis,

It's a combined site. Both xf86-input-wacom and linuxwacom are on it. It was originally the linuxwacom site.

I wonder why not other people have mentioned this before.
Me too.

cordoval
November 3rd, 2010, 08:57 PM
just posted into linuxwacom-discuss mailing list

This is one response:

We don't "officially" support LED/OLED in the project. Favux sent me a link
(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9888901#post9888901) that
works for quite a few I4 OLED users .

I have never tested it myself. I don't think it works for I4 small
since small only has 4 LEDs. But, you may be able to get something out
of the script and make your LEDs work.

Ping
(response has been modified to protect identity of posters)

I already tried this and it really requires to understand the mappings on a medium-larger intuos4 which I don't have
I wish it could just be a little more easier to change that code for an intuos4 small....

help please

Favux
November 3rd, 2010, 09:38 PM
Well that was quick. There's your answer from Ping. Unless Peter wants to do something it isn't going to happen any time soon. Sounds like it's way down on their priority list.

You'll probably have to wait until someone with your tablet who can code decides to add the feature and submits patches to Peter's xf86-input-wacom git repository. Unless they need to do it through the kernel driver.

You could nag them by posting it on the bug tracker. I believe the OLED's are on it. But that would be kind of impolite.

Favux
November 3rd, 2010, 09:44 PM
Just to let you know, Ping is the Wacom developer assigned to Linux support. Peter is the Xorg developer. I think he works for Red Hat.

cordoval
December 7th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Favux

i am retaking the thread

so i finally got some time and installed the git xf86-input-wacom thing. Finally using what i was all along supposed to be using

Now I was thinking how to map the problem so I can solve it

The ingredients are:
- patch that works with the pop profile (script binds to the central button I think it is)
- my src code for xf86-input-wacom
- upstream kernel driver

So in order to enable the 4 LEDs work has to be put into the three above right? i am just wonder how much or what exactly.

So if you have the ideas to clarify or document this please let me know as I am setting myself for this task.

cdi3d
December 14th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Good day folks,

New Wacom user here. Trying to configure my brand new wacom Inuos4 XL tablet.

First off, Favux, Sannete, you guys have been great. Ive been following this guide and a few side links and thus far I have the stylus responding correctly when touched to the tablet.

------------------------
My system info:

Ubuntu Lucid 10.04
XServer > 1.7 apparently.

------------------------

What Ive done so far:

Downloaded and configured the xf86-input-wacom0.10.10 and input-wacom-0.10.10.

This didnt seem to work at all so read a post which said use the ko from the linuxwacom-0.8.8-10 so I downloaded and configged it, did the make but not the install.

Copied the wacom.ko to the proper location. Also copied the fdi file to the correct location and named it according to spec found on a linked wiki (69 something).

Still no luck at this point. Found another post advocating uninstalling the wacom tools and the xorg-server-input using apt-get and then re-installing them. Which I did.

At this point I had function in the stylus to pad. And this is where I am currently at now.

-----------------------------

My issue stems from:

1. nothing shows up in the wacomcpl. Nothing at all. Nor does running the cpl generate an xinitrc in my home folder.

2. the ring and buttons dont seem to do anything at all. (Im aware of a patch or a script that makes the OLEDS work but thats just prettiness I can do without) but the actual pressing or touching of a button or ring produces no visible result.

3. I dont seem to have any pressure sensitivity in Gimp (havent tried inkscape yet), but I assume this is due to nothing showing up in wacomcpl.

Any help with this is much appreciated.

Favux
December 14th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Hi cordoval,

Given that you have the OLED stuff from Karg & sanette that looks about right to me.

Making any progress?

Hi cdi3d,

Thank you for your kind words.

1. nothing shows up in the wacomcpl. Nothing at all. Nor does running the cpl generate an xinitrc in my home folder.
There is no wacomcpl for xf86-input-wacom. So starting with Lucid it's gone. You should probably remove wacom tools.

We're using scripts semi-based on wacomcpl's .xinitrc instead. There's a preliminary one about 6-8 pages back. I was updating it but have been side tracked by a couple of other projects. I did post an update for the Bamboo P&T script on the Bamboo HOW TO. Hopefully I'll get back to that shortly.

2. the ring and buttons dont seem to do anything at all. (Im aware of a patch or a script that makes the OLEDS work but thats just prettiness I can do without) but the actual pressing or touching of a button or ring produces no visible result.
If you downloaded the xf86-input-wacom tar that's might be the problem. There's a pad (button) bug in 0.10.9 that was only partially fixed in 0.10.10. It was fixed a few commits later. So either download a recent snapshot or clone the git. For that see II. in the Bamboo HOW TO (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9496609&postcount=1). You may need to do that anyway given you reinstalled xserver-xorg-input-wacom(?).

3. I dont seem to have any pressure sensitivity in Gimp (havent tried inkscape yet), but I assume this is due to nothing showing up in wacomcpl.
I don't think so. If it's not showing up in Gimp after you configure the extended input devices then it's a problem with your install.

So to recap:
wacom.ko from linuxwacom 0.8.8-10
xf86-input-wacom 0.10-10+ from cloning the git or very recent (last) snapshot

Then let's see where you are. We'll want to look at your output of:

xinput --list

cdi3d
December 14th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Hey man,

Thanks for replying so quickly.

Well Im having some issues performing the git clone. It keeps timing out and telling me it cant connect to a socket.

Ill keep trying. In the meantime here is the output of my xinput --list

:~$ xinput --list
⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ stylus id=6 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ eraser id=7 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse id=10 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Macintosh mouse button emulation id=13 [slave pointer (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Power Button id=8 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Power Button id=9 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Apple, Inc Apple Keyboard id=11 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Apple, Inc Apple Keyboard id=12 [slave keyboard (3)]

Favux
December 14th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Sounds like SourceForge is having some problems. Give it a little time.

OK, we'll need a repeat of xinput when you have cloned the git. Are you using a xorg.conf?

cdi3d
December 14th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Bah. That was something I forgot to mention. Yes I configured the zorg.conf as per the guide (adding lines to server layout and individual device sections)....here's the conf.

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
Option "Xinerama" "0"
InputDevice "stylus"
InputDevice "eraser"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "stylus"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom" # USB ONLY
Option "Type" "stylus"
Option "USB" "on" # USB ONLY
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "eraser"
Option "Type" "eraser"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "cursor"
Option "Type" "cursor"
EndSection

# This section is for Intuos3, CintiqV5, Graphire4, or Bamboo without touch
Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "pad"
Option "Type" "pad"
EndSection

# This section is for USB Bamboo with touch
Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "pad"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom-touch" # USB ONLY
Option "Type" "pad"
EndSection

# This section is for the TabletPC that supports touch
Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "touch"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom-touch" # USB ONLY
Option "Type" "touch"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
# HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "DELL E170S"
HorizSync 30.0 - 81.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 76.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "Quadro FX 5600"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "1"
Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-1"
Option "metamodes" "CRT: nvidia-auto-select +1600+0, DFP: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Favux
December 14th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Alright, you can use xorg.conf but it will prevent you from hot plugging. I'd recommend removing the touch section and the cursor section (unless you have a Wacom tablet mouse). Comment out the stylus, eraser, and pad sections. Don't forget the Wacom lines in "ServerLayout".

Let's try to configure you through the 50-wacom.conf in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d. If you want to use the xorg.conf you'd want to disable the usb snippet in the wacom.conf. That may be part of the trouble.

cdi3d
December 14th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Alrightie then,

Ive commented out the wacom related additions in the xorg.conf and saved it.

I do not have a 50-wacom.conf or a xorg.conf.d directory!

Favux
December 14th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Oops! My apologies. You're in Lucid not Maverick. So it's 10-wacom.conf and /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d then.

cdi3d
December 14th, 2010, 10:25 PM
:D lol no worries. Had me a bit concerned for a moment. But there we go.

Here are the contents:

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Wacom class"
MatchProduct "Wacom|WACOM"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
Driver "wacom"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Wacom serial class"
MatchProduct "Serial Wacom Tablet"
Driver "wacom"
Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4"
EndSection

# N-Trig Duosense Electromagnetic Digitizer
Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Wacom N-Trig class"
MatchProduct "HID 1b96:0001"
Driver "wacom"
EndSection

Favux
December 14th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Good, you're all set. You're going with the wacom.conf then I take it. Let me know when you've cloned the git and how things are working after a reboot. Also need another xinput.

cdi3d
December 15th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Good morning (depending on where you are),

Well I still cant perform a git clone. Same error..timing out and unable to connect a socket. My IT Admin assures me its not due to proxy or anything. So Im not sure whats up. Is there another way to get the snapshot?

On a side note I took the tablet home with me last night to my home pc running Maverick and the tablet worked out of box. LOL Just hot plugged configed in Gimp. Now the ring and buttons still dont work but I have pressure and everything else.

*chuckle*

Anywho I anxiously await your advice my friend.

Favux
December 15th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Hi cdi3d,

At least you've confirmed it isn't a hardware problem.

I'm not familiar with the "timing out and unable to connect a socket" error. If a site is having problems I see a time out error. Did you see any errors when you installed git? Even if you didn't why don't you
reinstall it?:

sudo apt-get install git-core
I just downloaded a clone successfully using the command:

git clone git://linuxwacom.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/linuxwacom/xf86-input-wacom
Despite what your IT guy said I'm thinking firewall/proxy issue. Can you clone the repository with the above commands at home and install the resulting xf86-input-wacom folder at work? You could proceed from there.

cdi3d
December 15th, 2010, 08:02 PM
I will try the git command tonight. Do I just copy the entire .git directory and bring it with me?

Also something I noticed last night. In Gimp when I was configging the tablet (Eraser, Stylus, Pad, etc.) in Preferences the actual name of the tablet (Intuos4) and the additional entry of "Pad" was listed in the Gimp preferences window.

On my system here at work (Lucid) they are simply listed as "stylus", "eraser", etc.

Favux
December 15th, 2010, 08:18 PM
If you switch to your Desktop first 'cd Desktop' xf86-input-wacom should show up as a folder of the same name. That's what you want to copy and take to work.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying. You mean in extended input devices in Gimp? In Maverick and Lucid I just see the same devices that 'xinput --list' gives. If you're using an xorg.conf with your work Lucid install then you'd see the Section identifiers like stylus, eraser, pad and not the longer more descriptive "Device names" 'xinput --list' returns when you are using the wacom.conf.

Franky59
January 7th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Hi all,

First of all, despite I have my Wacom Intuos4 L since only 3 weeks, thanks for the work already to develop tools for such products.

I have problem using it with last xf86-input-wacom:
1 - my tablet seems to be running only on the left side of its area. When I move horizontaly my stylus from left, while reaching about center of the tablet, the stylus return back to the left extremity of the tablet.
2 - using Gimp, eraser runs correctly, but I do not have pressure sensitivity for the stylus

I firstly tried to run with Synaptic input-wacom version 0.10.5. On that case, the only problems I have:
1 - the touch ring was not working (cursor going to top left of the screen).
2 - despite I have an azerty keyboard, I need to use xsetwacom like for qwerty keyboard (not a critical problem !)

I am running under Ubuntu Lucid Lynx, with kernel 2.6.32-27-generic. I have checked numerous threads related to Wacom configuration, but I could not find solution to my problem. Notably, I run exactly the HOW TO existing on this forum, but did not change anything :(

I would be please if someone could help me to understand my problem.

some data I can give to complete:

franky@homespot:~$ uname -r
2.6.32-27-generic

franky@homespot:~$ modinfo -n wacom
/lib/modules/2.6.32-27-
generic/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko

franky@homespot:~$ modinfo -d wacom
USB Wacom tablet driver
USB Wacom tablet driver

franky@homespot:~$ lsmod | grep wacom
wacom 33237 0

franky@homespot:~$ xsetwacom list dev
Wacom Intuos4 8x13 eraser id: 13 type: ERASER
Wacom Intuos4 8x13 cursor id: 14 type: CURSOR
Wacom Intuos4 8x13 pad id: 15 type: PAD
Wacom Intuos4 8x13 stylus id: 16 type: STYLUS

I did not change the default 10-wacom.conf because it remains the same despite I installed last input-wacom or the one through Synaptic and problems are different... so I do not think that my problems comes from it.

Anyway, here is my 10-wacom.conf:

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Wacom class"
MatchProduct "Wacom|WACOM"
Driver "wacom"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Wacom serial class"
MatchProduct "Serial Wacom Tablet"
Driver "wacom"
Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4"
EndSection

# N-Trig Duosense Electromagnetic Digitizer
Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Wacom N-Trig class"
MatchProduct "HID 1b96:0001"
Driver "wacom"
EndSection

I have no more idea where to look for solution...

Favux
January 7th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Hi Franky59,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

You should first try updating the default version of xf86-input-wacom in Lucid which is 0.10.5 to 0.10.10. It has fixes you'll want. See part II. of the Bamboo P & T HOW TO (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9496609&postcount=1). Also I'm about to post an updated version of the xsetwacom script for the Intous4 on post #2 of that thread.

Then after a reboot see how things are working for you. I don't know if you need to update the wacom.ko (part I.) yet. The default in Lucid is 0.8.4-1 and the current version is 0.8.8-10.

Your 10-wacom.conf in xorg.conf.d should be good.

Also as a heads up for everyone a fix for the touchring is already available for testing and will probably be commited to the repository soon.

Franky59
January 7th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Thanks for your prompt reply Favux (and sorry for my english maybe hard to read sometimes ;-).

I already performed section II of the HOWTO... and have also already updated wakom.ko as indicated on part I.
And so, on that case touch ring is running perfectly, but problem with the screen and area available on my tablet (A4 size, but works like limited horizontaly to half size).

Favux
January 7th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Good, progress!

but problem with the screen and area available on my tablet (A4 size, but works like limited horizontaly to half size).
I've seen that when folks are trying to map to dual monitors. Are you set up for two monitors and maybe only using one currently?

Let's also look at your Xorg.0.log. It is at /var/log. Right click on it and compress it with Create Archive and attach it to your next post with Manage Attachments below.

Franky59
January 7th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Yes you're right ! I am running with my TV connected on my graphic card, but not activated.
I will test tomorrow to deconnect TV, update configuration through Catalyst and see what happens with my stylus.

Xorg.0.log attached.

Favux
January 7th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Your Xorg.0.log looks good. I think it's the dual monitors. Let me know how it goes tomorrow.

Franky59
January 8th, 2011, 09:49 AM
OK, tests not successful :
- I disconnected my TV,
- removed data related in the xorg.conf (and also take the opportunity to updated my fglrx driver)
- removed Synaptic xinput-wacom
- reboot
- reinstall Synaptic xinput-wacom
- reboot
- reinstall xf86-xinput wacom
- reboot

but still half the screen working, from left to middle.

here is my xorg.conf for information (no changes on 10-wacom.conf):

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "amdcccle Layout"
Screen 0 "amdcccle-Screen[1]-0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "Xinerama" "off"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "0-DFP2"
Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
Option "DPMS" "true"
Option "PreferredMode" "1920x1080"
Option "TargetRefresh" "60"
Option "Position" "0 0"
Option "Rotate" "normal"
Option "Disable" "false"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Default Device"
Driver "fglrx"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "amdcccle-Device[1]-0"
Driver "fglrx"
Option "Monitor-DFP2" "0-DFP2"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
DefaultDepth 24
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "amdcccle-Screen[1]-0"
Device "amdcccle-Device[1]-0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection
for information, I also looked at xsetwacom param:

franky@homespot:~$ xsetwacom get "Wacom Intuos4 8x13 stylus" all
Option "TopX" "0"
Option "TopY" "0"
Option "BottomX" "65024"
Option "BottomY" "40640"
Option "Screen_No" "255"
Option "PressCurve" "0 0 100 100"
Option "Mode" "Absolute"
Option "mmonitor" "1"
...I don't know if "Screen_No 255" is correct. I tried to set it to 0, but it does not solve my problem.

Edit:
I made other tests:

- I reactivated my TV and extended my desktop --> the more I extend my desktop, the larger is the area available on my tablet. I conclude that my problem is effectively linked to dual monitor. But problem is not solved as I cannot defined a too large resolution for my TV.
Anyway, I am astonished that problem still existing when xorg.conf is configured for only computer screen without TV...

- I removed xinput-wacom, reinstalled fglrx drivers, reloaded aticonfig.
Then I installed last xf86-xinput-wacom (following HOWTO partII), without preliminary re-installing Synaptic xinput-wacom. On that case, I do not have problem of stylus limited to half area and touchring is running ! But I cannot configure anything through xsetwacom as xsetwacom list dev returns nothing.
(sorry for my english mistakes !)

Favux
January 9th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Hi Franky59,

First make sure you only have one xsetwacom executable. Check in /usr/local/bin for xsetwacom (it should be in /usr/bin). This may mean you forgot the '--prefix=/usr' flag on the xf86-input-wacom configure line. In which case you may have a xsetwacom executable in both locations and are experiencing version conflict. Delete the one in the wrong location, i.e. /usr/local/bin. If this isn't the case then try to re-clone the xf86-input-wacom git repository.

If that isn't it go back to the set up where xsetwacom works but the tablet is only on half the monitor. First lets check if Lucid's Xserver has the 'Coordinate Transformation Matrix'. I don't think it does. I think it starts with Maverick's 1.9 Xserver. In a terminal enter:

xinput --list
Determine the "Device name" it is using for your stylus and then enter in a terminal:

xinput list-props "Device name"
If there is a line with 'Coordinate Transformation Matrix' you can try "HOW TO Setup a Wacom Tablet with Multi-Monitors in Maverick and Natty (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1656089)". Which is still a work in progress.

Otherwise you'll use the method SnickerSnack describes to set your xsetwacom coordinates: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10299356&postcount=33

Franky59
January 9th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Hi Favux,

- xsetwacom is in the correct location (/usr/bin) and no other one in other location
- also checked for devices properties, but as you guessed, this matrix is not available with Lucid (I already found this HOTO yesterday, trying to understand my problem...).

nosound
March 5th, 2011, 07:18 PM
I have the same Problem as Franky59 only having the half of my screen and half of my Intuos4 L accessible. I did a git-bisect and found it to fail on commit 19c24dc4e852bae384f16411d5f59add487be5f0 (Rework rotation and scaling into tablet areas) of xf86-input-wacom.

I'm using lucid on amd64. Any ideas?

nosound
March 5th, 2011, 08:34 PM
I did a bit of investigations and found a few things:

commit 19c24dc4e852bae384f16411d5f59add487be5f0 ist the first commit to use the xf86ScaleAxis function
using "gdb" I see that xf86ScaleAxis is called with Sxhigh=65024 (strange, my Screen has only 1920 pixels horizontally)
If the Cx parameter goes above 33026 - which is about half the X size of the tablet - the xf86ScaleAxis function overflows, and calculates a negative X which is truncated to 0
according to http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2010-April/007333.html newer Xorg servers support higher values for the xf86ScaleAxis function and therefore don't exhibit this bug
the Xorg server of lucid-lynx does not yet have this patch included

Should I directly report this to Peter Hutterer, who committed this change?

Favux
March 5th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Hi nosound,

Yes, I think you should. We've run into this issue several times now and you're the first one to discover the problem.

Normally you'd report on linuxwacom discuss or the bug tracker. But I think you have enough information to report on the linuxwacom-devel mailing list: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/linuxwacom/index.php?title=Main_Page

From the patch you cite I'm thinking the issue only applies to X server 1.7, which is exactly what we've been seeing in the Forums, Lucid users.

Favux
March 7th, 2011, 01:14 AM
Hi again nosound,

OK, we have our answer. Peter won't include a work around in the xf86-input-code and Xserver 1.7 is discontinued upstream. So to get it fixed you have to post a Launchpad bug report and ask the Ubuntu Xorg maintainers to put Benjamin's patch into Ubuntu's version of X server 1.7. Should be doable.

nosound
March 7th, 2011, 09:32 AM
I opened a bug report for the ScaleAxis function: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/730488

Just for completeness, I opened a bug for the Intuos PAD device on Lucid too: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/730478 If this would get fixed directly, there might not be the need for fixing the ScaleAxis function.

Favux
March 7th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Good work, covered the bases.

FYI I'm pretty sure this affects the Cintiqs too, or at least the 21 UX and 21 UX2.

Edit: Wow, great work nosound! They already have the fix in Lucid Xorg proposed. Outstanding. I guess it helps when they don't see a possibility of regression.

Favux
May 1st, 2011, 08:09 PM
Hi daiheitan,

Since you have xf86-input-wacom-0.11.0 you can remove the two ClickForce lines. ClickForce is now Threshold.

The line:

xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 6x9 stylus" TabletPCButton "on" # stylus tip + button, or "off" for hover mode
should read:

xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 6x9 stylus" TabletPCButton "off" # "off" for tablet hover mode
And you can comment (#) that line out since off should be the default for a tablet. As a general rule comment out a line if you are happy with the default. There is no need to reapply the default from the driver with xsetwacom. Some more information on tablet configuration is available on the mediawiki: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/linuxwacom/index.php?title=Tablet_Configuration

Go ahead and clean up the xsetwacom script and then let's see where you are. We may want to look at your Xorg.0.log in /var/log. We might want to play with the Threshold value.

I can also link you to sanette's OLED application. By the way someone was working on adding OLED support to the drivers in the last few weeks. Was trying to make needed changes to the kernel. Haven't heard anything from them recently. I don't think the linux-input maintainer responded to the patches yet.

daiheitan
May 1st, 2011, 08:17 PM
I commented that line and the problem is gone, even though it still lose lines if I draw fast. But it is much better. Thanks.

Do you still want to see the log file?

Favux
May 1st, 2011, 08:22 PM
Great! No. No need. If you're good I'm good. :)

Oops I was going to link you to OLED. Give me a second.

OK, here's the latest post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10527977&postcount=174 And the whole thread is devoted to OLED's.

daiheitan
May 1st, 2011, 09:38 PM
wait a minute...... I found that the problem isn't gone- -
It seems to be OK because I set stylus button1(which seems to be the tip of the pen) to "1"(left click), so after drawing a line and starting a new line, the system receives a click event and moves the brush circle,so the new line starts. However, I found it hard to click items such as tools in the toolbox of GIMP under this setting because click with the pen now not simply means a click...Also tried some different threshold values like 1024 and 2047...

if I comment the line or change the binding
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 6x9 stylus" Button 1 "1"
The problem will be back

BTW the OLEDs works now......

Favux
May 1st, 2011, 10:25 PM
BTW the OLEDs works now......
Good. Nice work. :)

wait a minute...... I found that the problem isn't gone- -
OK, it looks like you fixed the error in:

xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 6x9 stylus" Button "1"

and made it read correctly now:

xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 6x9 stylus" Button 1 "1"
or
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 6x9 stylus" Button 1 1
If you haven't already try commenting out those lines and the Mode lines:

#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 6x9 stylus" Mode "Absolute" # or Relative cursor movement
Let's see if with the driver defaults on a restart that changes anything.

I really haven't checked out Gimp in Natty. I should do that. I don't even know what version it is come to think of it.

daiheitan
May 1st, 2011, 10:34 PM
I restarted system, commented that line and hotplugged the pad and nothing changed :(

This might help:
If I set stylus button 1 to "1",every time I draw a line, the Launcher will appear( it is auto-hidden). No effect if I click a button on GIMP toolbox, but I could click the Unity Global menu using the pen.

Favux
May 2nd, 2011, 01:52 AM
I think we may be looking at multiple bugs in Natty and/or Gimp. I can't do toolbox selection consistently either and I notice an appreciable lag in My Paint. So I don't think this is just a Gimp issue. Maybe something wrong with the Gtk version they're using? I think we will need to search Launchpad for bugs and see if this stuff has been reported.

Either way this will take a while to figure out.

Favux
October 20th, 2011, 04:36 AM
Hi,

Just an FYI. Przemo Firszt is working on support for the Intuos4 wireless/bluetooth tablet. He's submitted a second version of his patchset: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=CAGzDe_aiOaTp4NFBfe8iTsFSUjc YRZ1P91Mep_FE4HUXTw18wA%40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=linuxwacom-devel

Teacher Lion
December 8th, 2011, 02:12 AM
I have researched this thread thoroughly for my own purposes. I am trying to get an Intuos4 Small to work.

I made notes as I read meticulously through the entire thread. Which took ages! So no bullying me! People always bully me! Here are the last few notes:

Favux September 6th, 2010 10:35 AM

Some stuff about Intuos4 LEDS. Might not apply to the small.

kotakotakota September 6th, 2010 04:42 PM

User reveals that he is using a very similar setup to you. Only difference is that it's a medium tablet. CONTINUE READING AFTERWARDS. IT'S ALL GOOD!! Further down, the same BAMBOO link is indicated as through thread. Favux says it'll both work.

cordoval November 3rd, 2010 07:42 AM

This guy cordoval has raised a new issue: the Intuos4 small, for people like me, only has LEDS. This is news to Favux. It was new at the time. Things are getting exciting!

cordoval December 7th, 2010 11:21 AM

We now know that the LEDs for Intuos4 small don't work and there are no plans to make them work. cordoval runs in to the rescue in this post. But then he is gone. He never comes back. Cordoval! Come back! Nooooooo!!

A sad sad ending, indeed. I found something else that cordoval posted some place else on the internet. Can't find it now. Anyway, they bullied him, too. These are hard times for heroes.

Favux!!!... you are quite consistently the man that everyone has turned to for the past few years in order to find out what is going on with the interplay between the Intuos4 and Ubuntu! I am running 10.04, 64-bit. Are my 4 LEDs going to start working at any point? Or shall I just send it back and buy the medium?

I know myself too well. I'll keep on trying to carry on with my work and this LED thing is going to keep on annoying me!

Who do I write to? If I send them money, will they help me? Or do they shun money in general (being that they're all into Linux n' stuff)?

I wish I had the brains to do it myself. But I don't. Sigh.

Teacher Lion
December 8th, 2011, 02:58 AM
I'm encountering failure again. I really have to get some sleep.

adam@mixbreed-a8dc:~/Desktop/util-macros-1.8.0$ cd xf86-input-wacom
adam@mixbreed-a8dc:~/Desktop/util-macros-1.8.0/xf86-input-wacom$ ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal
configure.ac:45: error: xorg-macros version 1.8 or higher is required but 1.5.0 found
/usr/share/aclocal/xorg-macros.m4:39: XORG_MACROS_VERSION is expanded from...
configure.ac:45: the top level
autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
aclocal: /usr/bin/autom4te failed with exit status: 1
autoreconf: aclocal failed with exit status: 1
adam@mixbreed-a8dc:~/Desktop/util-macros-1.8.0/xf86-input-wacom$ cd ./Desktop
bash: cd: ./Desktop: No such file or directory
adam@mixbreed-a8dc:~/Desktop/util-macros-1.8.0/xf86-input-wacom$
adam@mixbreed-a8dc:~/Desktop/util-macros-1.8.0/xf86-input-wacom$ tar xjvf util-macros-1.8.0.tar.bz2
tar: util-macros-1.8.0.tar.bz2: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
adam@mixbreed-a8dc:~/Desktop/util-macros-1.8.0/xf86-input-wacom$ cd ..
adam@mixbreed-a8dc:~/Desktop/util-macros-1.8.0$ cd util-macros-1.8.0
bash: cd: util-macros-1.8.0: No such file or directory
adam@mixbreed-a8dc:~/Desktop/util-macros-1.8.0$ ./configure --prefix=/usr
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating xorg-macros.pc
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating xorg-macros.m4
adam@mixbreed-a8dc:~/Desktop/util-macros-1.8.0$ make
make: Nothing to be done for `all'.
adam@mixbreed-a8dc:~/Desktop/util-macros-1.8.0$ sudo make install
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/adam/Desktop/util-macros-1.8.0'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
test -z "/usr/share/aclocal" || /bin/mkdir -p "/usr/share/aclocal"
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 'xorg-macros.m4' '/usr/share/aclocal/xorg-macros.m4'
test -z "/usr/share/util-macros" || /bin/mkdir -p "/usr/share/util-macros"
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 'INSTALL' '/usr/share/util-macros/INSTALL'
test -z "/usr/share/pkgconfig" || /bin/mkdir -p "/usr/share/pkgconfig"
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 'xorg-macros.pc' '/usr/share/pkgconfig/xorg-macros.pc'
make install-data-hook
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/adam/Desktop/util-macros-1.8.0'
rm -f /usr/share/aclocal/xorgversion.m4
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/adam/Desktop/util-macros-1.8.0'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/adam/Desktop/util-macros-1.8.0'
adam@mixbreed-a8dc:~/Desktop/util-macros-1.8.0$ cd xf86-input-wacom
adam@mixbreed-a8dc:~/Desktop/util-macros-1.8.0/xf86-input-wacom$ ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal
autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
autoreconf: running: libtoolize --install --copy
libtoolize: putting macros in AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR, `m4'.
libtoolize: copying file `m4/libtool.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `m4/ltoptions.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `m4/ltsugar.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `m4/ltversion.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `m4/lt~obsolete.m4'
libtoolize: Consider adding `-I m4' to ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS in Makefile.am.
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoconf
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoheader
autoreconf: running: automake --add-missing --copy --no-force
configure.ac:40: installing `../config.guess'
configure.ac:40: installing `../config.sub'
configure.ac:40: required file `../ltmain.sh' not found
src/Makefile.am: installing `../depcomp'
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1
adam@mixbreed-a8dc:~/Desktop/util-macros-1.8.0/xf86-input-wacom$ make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
adam@mixbreed-a8dc:~/Desktop/util-macros-1.8.0/xf86-input-wacom$ sudo make install
make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.

This is all really very confusing to me!! I highlighted the bits I think might be relevant!

Favux
December 8th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Hi Teacher Lion,

While my natural tendency is to bully everyone I will try and behave. ;)

You are using Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 correct? Aside from the LED's do you have what you want working or are there other things also?

As far as I know you should now be able to get the LED's working thanks to Eduard Hasenleithner: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/linuxwacom/index.php?title=Wacom_Tablet_Set_Up#Intuos4_LED_an d_OLED He and Ping have backported the 3.2 kernel code to input-wacom and it is now in input-wacom-0.12.0, just released the other day. While Eduard in his patch says no support for the small: http://linuxwacom.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=linuxwacom/input-wacom;a=commit;h=718a62b02a4712e0112053bcf763e71f6 288823b It seems to me I've read about someone getting the small's to work. I think on this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1380744 Just required a simple code change.

If I'm correct then you want to update your wacom.ko with the one from input-wacom-0.12.0 and also update to xf86-input-wacom-0.12.0. Parts I. and II. on the BambooPT HOW TO (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1515562) show you how to do that.

The reason you couldn't get the macros working is because you weren't in the correct directory. If you study the path before the $ prompt you'll see what I mean. So it would benefit you to pay a little more attention to that.

Teacher Lion
December 8th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Dear Favux,

Thank you so much. I haven't got anything working yet though I'll do my best!

Teacher Lion
December 8th, 2011, 01:19 PM
OK! Now I can use the wheel on the device as a scroll wheel. Progress!

I checked out the thread on LEDs and this seems to be as close as I can get to a solution...

Concerning the led kernel patch, I don't know...

One could try to modify line 695 of wacom_sys.c:
replace >= INTUOS4 by >= INTUOS4S
and see what happens...

I don't have an Intuos 4S to test...

Well... I don't have a wacom_sys.c file. I don't think I have anything even resembling one. Perhaps I should know that I don't have one! I'm not sure. I'm so confused by it all. But God damn it I have come a long way!

Favux... please don't hate me. I know I have failed you. When all of this is done I shall write a guide which is specifically targeted for simple-minded Intuos4 Small owners such as myself.

Once I get this sorted I am hoping that I will be able to use the button in the middle of the wheel to toggle between zooming, brushes, colours, etc. Fingers crossed! This is all a big learning experience for me!

Edit: Just so that folks know... am not running 9.10 as it says on the left. I tried to change it but I am told I do not have permission! Quite right. I don't deserve it. I'm an idiot.

Favux
December 8th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Hi Teacher Lion,

Good, progress! :)

Nice job finding that LED reference for the small! Since you have Lucid (10.04) the wacom_sys.c being talked about is the one in the 2.6.30 folder which in turn is in the input-wacom folder you've downloaded. Wacom_sys.c is one of the C files that makes up the wacom.ko (the usb kernel driver/module) when you compile it.

So what they are saying is make the change to the source code before compiling and then compile the wacom.ko. The guys on the LED thread should be a good resource for helping you, especially sanette if he has time. He just posted back on the thread after being gone a while.

loldotdot
December 10th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Hi all,
I noticed a lot of people aren't running the latest version of Ubuntu - I don't know if it's available in previous versions (11.10 is my first experience with Linux in general), but the Wacom Graphics Tablet in System Settings detected my Intuos4 small (which doesn't have LED labels, as far as I'm aware, unless the posts above referred to the LED dots by the touchring) and it works fine with TwinView out of the box.

My only question was a configuration one: on Windows, I had set my pen side buttons such that they'd only register clicks if I held the button, and made contact with the tablet - here there seems to be no option (and searching only turns up the <long touching of pen to tablet induces right-click> option) to set it to do that, and it only registers the side button clicks when I'm hovering above the tablet and press side button.

I'll confess I didn't have the dedication of Teacher Lion; I only read the first 9 pages and last 5 pages of this thread but it didn't seem like it was something that was being discussed :)

Favux
December 10th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Hi loldotdot,

That's the TabletPCButton paramater: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/linuxwacom/index.php?title=Xsetwacom#TabletPCButton

You can also turn it on in the gnome-settings-daemon where it is called tablet-pc-button: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/linuxwacom/index.php?title=Tablet_Configuration#gnome-settings-daemon

loldotdot
December 10th, 2011, 05:40 PM
and my switch to Ubuntu is complete. I <3 you guys.

Chillyguess
December 14th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Guys, just installed 11.10. Loving it.

I have a INTUOS4 wireless (PTK-540WL) and when I try to pair it up with Ubuntu it seems to 'detect' it fine, but disappears almost instantly. Any ideas?

Favux
December 14th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Hi Chillyguess,

No blue tooth support yet for the Intuos4.

However Przemo Firszt has been submitting previews of his blue tooth support for the Intuos4 over the past month or so to linuxwacom-devel for review: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=linuxwacom-devel Don't know yet if he has submitted it to the kernel yet.

ahood
December 23rd, 2011, 03:41 PM
Merry Christmas!

I am setting up a Wacom Intuos4 Small in Ubuntu Lucid (10.04, kernel 2.6.32-37.81). The unit works pretty well; however, I am having trouble configuring all of the buttons. I do have a single LED that lights up. I am not much interested in other LEDs (if there are other LEDs). I will be happy with all of the buttons if they can be made functional.

I have read all the pages in this thread, and many pages in other threads too, but have not identified a solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What Works

Pressure sensitivity (Gimp)
Cursor movement
Touch ring (zooming configured via xsetwacom.sh)
Buttons 1, 2, and 5 (configured via xsetwacom.sh)

What does not Work
Button 2 is permanently configured to zoom in incrementally with each button press and ignores the mapping in the xsetwacom script. The remaining buttons do nothing despite mapping in the script.

What I have done so far

compiled and installed wacom-input (http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/linuxwacom/index.php?title=Input-wacom) from git
compiles and installed Xf86-input-wacom (http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/linuxwacom/index.php?title=Xf86-input-wacom) from tar ball (the autogen.sh script did not work for some reason)
created xsetwacom.sh and set executable

#!/bin/sh

## Device names and ID numbers from 'xinput list' entered in a terminal.
#
## In the example "Device name" not ID # is used. Note if you use the
## xorg.conf the "Device names" will be stylus, eraser, touch, and pad.
#
## If you are hot plugging use "Device name" as ID # can change.
#
## ClickForce changes name to Threshold with xf86-input-wacom 0.10.9 (11-19-10)
#
## Warning: Changing Mode to either Absolute or Relative in stylus/eraser stops
## the mouse from being able to pull guidelines out of the ruler in Gimp.

## stylus = ID 9 = "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus"
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" Rotate half
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" Suppress "4" # data pt.s trimmed, default is 4, 0-20
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" RawSample "2" # data pt.s filtered, default is 2, 0-100
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" ClickForce "27" # pressure, default is 27, range is 0-2047
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" Threshold "27" # pressure, default is 27, range is 0-2047
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" PressureCurve "5 10 90 95" # Bezier curve, default is 0,0,100,100
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" TabletPCButton "on" # stylus tip + button, or "off" for hover mode
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" Mode "Absolute" # or Relative cursor movement
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" Button 1 "1" # left mouse click
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" Button 2 "3" # right mouse click
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" Button 3 "2" # middle mouse click
# default coordinates in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" Topx "0"
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" Topy "0"
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" Bottomx "65024"
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" Bottomy "40640"

## eraser = ID 14 = "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 eraser"
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" Rotate half
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 eraser" Suppress "4" # data pt.s trimmed, default is 4, 0-20
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 eraser" RawSample "2" # data pt.s filtered, default is 2, 0-100
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 eraser" ClickForce "27" # pressure, default is 27, range is 0-2047
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 eraser" Threshold "27" # pressure, default is 27, range is 0-2047
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 eraser" PressureCurve "0 10 90 100" # Bezier curve, default is 0,0,100,100
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 eraser" Mode "Absolute" # or Relative cursor movement
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 eraser" Button 1 "1"
# coordinates are the same as used for the stylus
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 eraser" Topx "0"
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 eraser" Topy "0"
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 eraser" Bottomx "65024"
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 eraser" Bottomy "40640"

## cursor = ID 15 = "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 cursor"
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 cursor" Suppress "4" # data pt.s trimmed, 0-100, default is 4, 0-20
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 cursor" RawSample "2" # data pt.s filtered, default is 2, 0-100
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 cursor" CursorProx "10" # proximity in/out value, default is 10, range?
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 cursor" Mode "Relative" # or Absolute
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 cursor" Button 1 "1" # left mouse click
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 cursor" Button 2 "2" # middle mouse click
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 cursor" Button 3 "3" # right mouse click

## pad = ID 16 = "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 pad"
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 pad" Button 2 "key ctrl x"
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 pad" Button 3 "key ctrl c"
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 pad" Button 4 "key ctrl F11"
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 pad" Button 5 "key ctrl z"

xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 pad" AbsWheelDown "key minus"
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 pad" Button 1 "key 1" # button inside touchring
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 pad" AbsWheelUp "key shift plus"

xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 pad" Button 6 "key ctrl alt shift O"
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 pad" Button 7 "key ctrl alt shift P"

## alternate pad button assignment examples
#Button2 "key shift"
#Button3 "key ctrl"
#Button4 "key alt"
#Button5 "key ctrl s" # save
#Button5 "key ctrl alt shift O" # Gimp bush down

#AbsWheelDown "+ "
#Button1 "key ctrl shift f12" # button inside touchring
#Button1 "key 1" # button inside touchring, zoom 100%
#AbsWheelUp "- "

#Button6 "key ctrl b"
#Button6 "key ctrl alt shift P" # Gimp bush up
#Button7 "key ctrl l"
#Button8 "key ctrl y"
#Button9 "key ctrl z"

## Developed with sebastian0000000 & sanette @ Ubuntu forums

Important Note: F11 will work when mapped to button 2 but not the other buttons.

Other Info
After compiling/installing input-wacom and xf86-input-wacom, the machine booted up with an error message indicating a problem with xorg.conf. On boot up, a message appeared recommending booting up in low graphics mode. I figured out that a new xorg.conf file was installed that had the following content

Section "ServerLayout"
EndSection

I recovered by replacing this xorg.conf with one called xorg.conf.failsafe.

The output of xinput --list is the following:

⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus id=9 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad id=12 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Macintosh mouse button emulation id=13 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Wacom Intuos4 4x6 eraser id=14 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Wacom Intuos4 4x6 cursor id=15 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Wacom Intuos4 4x6 pad id=16 [slave pointer (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Power Button id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Video Bus id=7 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Power Button id=8 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Integrated Webcam id=10 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard id=11 [slave keyboard (3)]

Possible Solutions?
If I only knew what is causing the problem, the solution would present itself. Below are a few guesses, but I am pretty well stumped.

driver mismatch between input-wacom and xf86-input-wacom
driver conflict with original kernel driver (did not attempt to remove original driver)
xorg.conf issue
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" Rotate half issue

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

DrH

Favux
December 23rd, 2011, 04:16 PM
Hi DrH,

Everything looks pretty much on track. What is the output of:

xsetwacom -V
in a terminal?

If you noticed any warnings or errors when compiling the drivers see the BambooPT HOW TO (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1515562)'s parts I. and II. for compiling instructions.

Check in /usr/local/bin for the xsetwacom binary (it should be in /usr/bin). This may mean you forgot the '--prefix=/usr' flag on the xf86-input-wacom configure line. In which case you may have a xsetwacom executable in both locations and are experiencing version conflict. Delete the one in the wrong location, i.e. /usr/local/bin. Unless by date it is the newly compiled one, in which case movey it over the old one.

After compiling/installing input-wacom and xf86-input-wacom, the machine booted up with an error message indicating a problem with xorg.conf. On boot up, a message appeared recommending booting up in low graphics mode. I figured out that a new xorg.conf file was installed...I recovered by replacing this xorg.conf with one called xorg.conf.failsafe.

That bothers me a bit since neither input-wacom or xf86-input-wacom would change the xorg.conf. Maybe we ought to look at your current xorg.conf and the previous non-working one in /etc/X11.

ahood
December 23rd, 2011, 04:52 PM
Thank you for the very quick reply Favux!

Hi DrH,

Everything looks pretty much on track. What is the output of:

xsetwacom -V
in a terminal?

The output of that command is...

I was wondering how to verify the version of xsetwacom that was installed from the command line.

If you noticed any warnings or errors when compiling the drivers see the BambooPT HOW TO (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1515562)'s parts I. and II. for compiling instructions.

Check in /usr/local/bin for the xsetwacom binary (it should be in /usr/bin). This may mean you forgot the '--prefix=/usr' flag on the xf86-input-wacom configure line. In which case you may have a xsetwacom executable in both locations and are experiencing version conflict. Delete the one in the wrong location, i.e. /usr/local/bin. Unless by date it is the newly compiled one, in which case movey it over the old one.

I recall adding the '--prefix=/usr' flag. I did a 'sudo locate xsetwacom' and only one instance is returned, which is in /usr/bin/.

That bothers me a bit since neither input-wacom or xf86-input-wacom would change the xorg.conf. Maybe we ought to look at your current xorg.conf and the previous non-working one in /etc/X11.

I may be mistaken that compiling newer versions of input-wacom and xf86-input-wacom created a new xorg.conf. This could be a one-time occurrence. Recommend not worrying unless others are reporting the same xorg issue. I mentioned it because I was at a loss for the fix and wanted to include as much info, just in case it mattered.

I am happy to report that the difficult in configuring the buttons has been SOLVED!!!!!!

After writing that long post, I kept thinking and reading. A clue to the solution surfaced when I was re-reading the sourceforge wacom Tablet Configuration (http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/linuxwacom/index.php?title=Tablet_Configuration#Intuos4) page.

On this page are two floating blue boxes. The first one I read was...

Tip: Similar to the Bamboo P & Ts above, with the 2.6.32 kernel, key mapping for the Intuos4 buttons may be 1 2 3 8 9 10 11 12 13. Again the issue is due to Xinput button mapping reserving 4, 5, 6, and 7 as described above.

And the second one I read was...

Tip: Bamboo P & Ts if Button 4 is not working change it to Button 8. The issue is because Xinput reserves buttons 4, 5, 6, and 7 for vertical and horizontal scrolling.

I then realized that the button entries (1-7) were incorrect for the Intuos4 small.

I modified the xsetwacom.sh file (see below) and now all of the buttons are now configurable.

Improved xsetwacom.sh file for Wacom Intuos4 small

## Device names and ID numbers from 'xinput list' entered in a terminal.
#
## In the example "Device name" not ID # is used. Note if you use the
## xorg.conf the "Device names" will be stylus, eraser, touch, and pad.
#
## If you are hot plugging use "Device name" as ID # can change.
#
## ClickForce changes name to Threshold with xf86-input-wacom 0.10.9 (11-19-10)
#
## Warning: Changing Mode to either Absolute or Relative in stylus/eraser stops
## the mouse from being able to pull guidelines out of the ruler in Gimp.

## stylus = ID 9 = "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus"
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" Rotate half
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" Suppress "4" # data pt.s trimmed, default is 4, 0-20
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" RawSample "2" # data pt.s filtered, default is 2, 0-100
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" ClickForce "27" # pressure, default is 27, range is 0-2047
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" Threshold "27" # pressure, default is 27, range is 0-2047
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" PressureCurve "5 10 90 95" # Bezier curve, default is 0,0,100,100
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" TabletPCButton "on" # stylus tip + button, or "off" for hover mode
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" Mode "Absolute" # or Relative cursor movement
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" Button 1 "1" # left mouse click
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" Button 2 "3" # right mouse click
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" Button 3 "2" # middle mouse click
# default coordinates in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" Topx "0"
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" Topy "0"
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" Bottomx "65024"
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 stylus" Bottomy "40640"

## eraser = ID 14 = "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 eraser"
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 eraser" Suppress "4" # data pt.s trimmed, default is 4, 0-20
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 eraser" RawSample "2" # data pt.s filtered, default is 2, 0-100
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 eraser" ClickForce "27" # pressure, default is 27, range is 0-2047
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 eraser" Threshold "27" # pressure, default is 27, range is 0-2047
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 eraser" PressureCurve "0 10 90 100" # Bezier curve, default is 0,0,100,100
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 eraser" Mode "Absolute" # or Relative cursor movement
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 eraser" Button 1 "1"
# coordinates are the same as used for the stylus
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 eraser" Topx "0"
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 eraser" Topy "0"
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 eraser" Bottomx "65024"
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 eraser" Bottomy "40640"

## cursor = ID 15 = "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 cursor"
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 cursor" Suppress "4" # data pt.s trimmed, 0-100, default is 4, 0-20
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 cursor" RawSample "2" # data pt.s filtered, default is 2, 0-100
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 cursor" CursorProx "10" # proximity in/out value, default is 10, range?
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 cursor" Mode "Relative" # or Absolute
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 cursor" Button 1 "1" # left mouse click
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 cursor" Button 2 "2" # middle mouse click
#xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 cursor" Button 3 "3" # right mouse click

## pad = ID 16 = "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 pad"
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 pad" Button 2 "key ctrl"
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 pad" Button 3 "key shift"
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 pad" Button 8 "key ctrl n"
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 pad" Button 9 "key ctrl x"

xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 pad" AbsWheelDown "key minus"
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 pad" Button 1 "key 1" # button inside touchring
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 pad" AbsWheelUp "key shift plus"

xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 pad" Button 10 "key ctrl v"
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos4 4x6 pad" Button 11 "key ctrl c"

## alternate pad button assignment examples
#Button2 "key shift"
#Button3 "key ctrl"
#Button4 "key alt"
#Button5 "key ctrl s" # save
#Button5 "key ctrl alt shift O" # Gimp bush down

#AbsWheelDown "+ "
#Button1 "key ctrl shift f12" # button inside touchring
#Button1 "key 1" # button inside touchring, zoom 100%
#AbsWheelUp "- "

#Button6 "key ctrl b"
#Button6 "key ctrl alt shift P" # Gimp bush up
#Button7 "key ctrl l"
#Button8 "key ctrl y"
#Button9 "key ctrl z"

## Developed with sebastian0000000 & sanette @ Ubuntu forums

With the above script, all 7 buttons perform the assigned function in Gimp. Zooming in and out with the touch wheel also works.

Thanks goes out to everyone for contributing to this thread for so long. A huge amount of work has gone into this device. The information has been very helpful.

DrH

ahood
December 23rd, 2011, 06:06 PM
After using the previous xsetwacom.sh script file with the Intuos4 small, I noticed that after I used the paint brush to draw a squiggly line in Gimp (2.6). There is a message within Gimp about pressing shift will draw a straight line and the ctrl key will select a color. If I press button 3, which is mapped to shift key, a plus cursor will appear for drawing the straight line and at the same time, Gimp zooms in once (shift plus). If I draw the straight line and press button 3 again, same thing (zooms in again). If I repeat again, but press the shift key on the keyboard instead of pressing button 3, no zooming.

It appears as if zoom in is permanently mapped to button 3. I am doubtful, but I have no explanation for why button 3 insists on zoom in.

Is there a parameter I should be checking that can modify this behavior?

DrH

Favux
December 23rd, 2011, 06:16 PM
With a pad button you get a button press and release. You can't get a hold like you can with a keyboard key unless it is a modifier.

that was done on purpose. any modifier key xsetwacom will be released on
button release but other keys are auto-released. this allows using some of
the buttons as modifiers.

the actual interface is not complex enough to tell which one is the main key
and when it should be released. if you're keen, you could modify the code so
that any unreleased key is released on key release, not at the end of the
sequence.

e.g. "key +alt +left -left -right" resulting in alt pressed, then left
press+release, then right held until button goes up.
linuxwacom-discuss January 2011

ahood
December 23rd, 2011, 06:32 PM
Thanks again for the quick reply Favux.

With a pad button you get a button press and release. You can't get a hold like you can with a keyboard key.

Okay, I get it. I am a novice (hehe).

Any idea why pad button 3 is executing 'shift plus' for zooming despite pad button 3 being mapped to shift only?

DrH

gpsvn
February 12th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Hi All,

I got my Intuos4, wired, medium today. Ubuntu 11.10 detects it right away. However, 'System Setting -> Wacom Graphics Tablet' does not provide much settings.

GIMP -> Edit -> Preferences -> Input Devices ->Configure Extended Input Devices... gives more options.

My problem is, if I select 'Wacom Intuos4 6x9 stylus' mode = screen (or Window); I can have the pressure sensitivity but there are straight lines randomly added to the lines I draw. Any of you having similar problem? Do you know what went wrong and how to fix it?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-c_JYzEQ_JxI/TzfTlak2gII/AAAAAAAACLg/sr9Ax-3zH7o/s800/Setting.png
Wacom Intuos4 6x9 stylus' mode = screen

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-r9QRvo08jIo/TzfThpVSOcI/AAAAAAAACLg/4qkxasoASvU/s800/Strange%2520lines.gif

As you can see, the horizontal lines from number 9, or vertical from number 4 or angled line from number 5 are created against my will.

Favux
February 12th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Hi gpsvn,

'System Setting -> Wacom Graphics Tablet' does not provide much settings.
The GNOME 3.2 Wacom tablet applet is the first initial version. Improvements are being made by Bastien Nocera. Part of that project is the new libwacom: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/linuxwacom/index.php?title=Libwacom Now that tablet metadata is available Bastien has started adding support for tablet (pad) buttons. That won't land in the GNOME 3.4 version in Precise probably but in the release after Precise.

So right now you'll need to do most the settings manually since I don't know if the Wacom Control Panel has been updated and fixed like the developer said he would: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/linuxwacom/index.php?title=External_applications If you try it approach with caution.

Instructions for using xsetwacom are here: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/linuxwacom/index.php?title=Tablet_Configuration

And both are from the mediawiki's HOWTO page: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/linuxwacom/index.php?title=Category:HOWTO

My problem is, if I select 'Wacom Intuos4 6x9 stylus' mode = screen (or Window); I can have the pressure sensitivity but there are straight lines randomly added to the lines I draw.
That is a known bug in Oneiric and probably Natty. Just worse in Oneiric. The bug is made apparent by Gimp's history buffer so a work around is to use a version of Gimp that has Alexia Death's patch to disable the history buffer. See this launchpad bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gimp/+bug/863154 A pre-patched Gimp PPA by Aapo Rantalainen is available here: https://launchpad.net/~aapo-rantalainen/+archive/gimp26-noghostline That should fix it for you.

gpsvn
February 12th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Hi gpsvn,

That should fix it for you.

Thanks a lot Favux. I'll try follow your guidance. Ubuntu is quite difficult for me to install a software with a lot of command lines. But I'll try my best.

gpsvn
February 15th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Hi gpsvn,

The GNOME 3.2 Wacom tablet applet is the first initial version. Improvements are being made by Bastien Nocera. Part of that project is the new libwacom: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/linuxwacom/index.php?title=Libwacom Now that tablet metadata is available Bastien has started adding support for tablet (pad) buttons. That won't land in the GNOME 3.4 version in Precise probably but in the release after Precise.

So right now you'll need to do most the settings manually since I don't know if the Wacom Control Panel has been updated and fixed like the developer said he would: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/linuxwacom/index.php?title=External_applications If you try it approach with caution.

Instructions for using xsetwacom are here: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/linuxwacom/index.php?title=Tablet_Configuration

And both are from the mediawiki's HOWTO page: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/linuxwacom/index.php?title=Category:HOWTO

This part scared me to death, I clicked on the links and did not know what to do.

That is a known bug in Oneiric and probably Natty. Just worse in Oneiric. The bug is made apparent by Gimp's history buffer so a work around is to use a version of Gimp that has Alexia Death's patch to disable the history buffer. See this launchpad bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gimp/+bug/863154 A pre-patched Gimp PPA by Aapo Rantalainen is available here: https://launchpad.net/~aapo-rantalainen/+archive/gimp26-noghostline That should fix it for you.

The last link helps fixing my problem.

Thanks a lot.

Favux
February 15th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Good, glad you can use Gimp now.

I do have a sample Intuos4 xsetwacom script attached to the bottom of post #2 on the BambooPT HOW TO: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1515562 It is a little dated now I'm sure and you would need to update with your "device name" etc. rather than use it as is. But it might give you more of an idea about what the Tablet Configuration wiki is telling you.

gpsvn
February 18th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Hi Favux, thanks again. I did download the file on post 2 but I don't know how to use it yet.

By the way, I followed instruction in post 1 "HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1515562)", section I. Install input-wacom-0.12.1's wacom.ko

After this command uname -r
system returned with 3.0.0-16-generic

I typed in the following commands

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
tar xjvf input-wacom-0.12.1.tar.bz2
cd input-wacom-0.12.1
./configure --prefix=/usr
tar xjvf input-wacom-0.12.1.tar.bz2
cd input-wacom-0.12.1
./configure --prefix=/usr
sudo cp ./2.6.38/wacom.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko
sudo depmod -a

After restarting, I tried lsmod | grep wacom but nothing happens. I then tried lsmod, system lists the followings, but there is no 'wacom' along with it's size. Did I do something wrong?

Module Size Used by
nls_utf8 12493 1
isofs 39549 1
parport_pc 32114 0
ppdev 12849 0
rfcomm 38408 0
bnep 17923 2
bluetooth 148839 10 rfcomm,bnep
snd_hda_codec_hdmi 31426 1
binfmt_misc 17292 1
snd_hda_codec_conexant 52418 1
snd_hda_intel 24262 2
snd_hda_codec 91859 3 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_conexant,snd_hda_ intel
snd_hwdep 13276 1 snd_hda_codec
joydev 17393 0
snd_pcm 80435 3 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_seq_midi 13132 0
snd_rawmidi 25241 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event 14475 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 51567 2 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
arc4 12473 2
snd_timer 28932 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 14172 3 snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
nouveau 663226 3
ttm 65224 1 nouveau
uvcvideo 67271 0
drm_kms_helper 32889 1 nouveau
snd 55902 14 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_conexant,snd_hda_ intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi, snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
drm 192194 5 nouveau,ttm,drm_kms_helper
ath5k 145100 0
videodev 85626 1 uvcvideo
soundcore 12600 1 snd
i2c_algo_bit 13199 1 nouveau
ath 19387 1 ath5k
hp_wmi 13652 0
sparse_keymap 13658 1 hp_wmi
mxm_wmi 12859 1 nouveau
snd_page_alloc 14115 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
mac80211 393421 1 ath5k
cfg80211 172427 3 ath5k,ath,mac80211
video 18908 1 nouveau
psmouse 73673 0
serio_raw 12990 0
wmi 18744 2 hp_wmi,mxm_wmi
lp 17455 0
parport 40930 3 parport_pc,ppdev,lp
usbhid 41905 0
ums_realtek 13096 0
hid 77367 1 usbhid
usb_storage 44173 1 ums_realtek
uas 17699 0
ahci 21634 3
libahci 25727 1 ahci
r8169 43104 0

Favux
February 18th, 2012, 03:04 PM
I did download the file on post 2 but I don't know how to use it yet.
Between Part IV. on the HOW TO and the mediawiki that should be covered.

I'm glad to see you are exploring linux! :) With the Wacom Intuos4 6x9 you should have been OK with the default wacom.ko that came with Oneiric's 3.0 kernel and not needed the wacom.ko from input-wacom. But installing it shouldn't hurt anything. With the next kernel update you'll be back to the default wacom.ko.

For whatever reason on some systems the compiled wacom.ko won't auto-load. That is what the 'depmod -a' command tries to minimize. It tells the system to rebuild all (the -a switch) kernel module/driver dependencies (depmod = module dependencies) after the new wacom.ko is copied into place.

You can "force" the wacom.ko to auto-load by adding wacom to the modules file in /etc. Use:

gksudo gedit /etc/modules
Add wacom save and reboot. Now the wacom.ko should auto-load and you should see wacom in lsmod.

gpsvn
February 18th, 2012, 06:58 PM
You can "force" the wacom.ko to auto-load by adding wacom to the modules file in /etc. Use:

gksudo gedit /etc/modules
Add wacom save and reboot. Now the wacom.ko should auto-load and you should see wacom in lsmod.

Thanks Favux, I can see wacom now.

wacom 46530 0

Though I don't know what it does.

Between Part IV. on the HOW TO and the mediawiki that should be covered.
I'm glad to see you are exploring linux!

This will take me sometime as I am just follow the instructions blindly without knowing what I am doing. Your dedication encourages me a lot. Thank you.

Does it mean that I should skip these steps below and go directly to Part IV Use of a xsetwacom script file?
II. Install Xorg's xf86-input-wacom (skip?)
III. Configure the Wacom Bamboo P&T tablet (skip?)

Favux
February 18th, 2012, 10:39 PM
For a usb tablet like yours there are two Wacom drivers. The kernel driver is the usb driver/module wacom.ko. Then the Wacom X driver (for the X windowing system, which actually draws the graphical Desktop gui) is xf86-input-wacom. The usb driver takes the raw data coming in on the usb port and transfers it to the X driver where is is turned into the graphics.

You should not need to do III. but you may want to do II. Updating the X driver xf86-input-wacom will get you some bug fixes that may apply to your Intuos4.