PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Toshiba Satellite Media Player

Ben5504
April 8th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Just a quick question, in case anyone has prior experience with this laptop.

My wife has a Toshiba Satellite M55 laptop which she is no longer using. I'd like to wipe the hard drive and install Ubuntu, but I'm worried about losing the media player functionality. Currently, it's possible to boot the media player without running Windows by using the Toshiba Express Media Player.

From what I understand, this is just a small partition on the HD, so how can I install Ubuntu without erasing that partition?

My wife no longer has her restore CD, and I can't figure out how to manually access the partition to duplicate it. Any advice would be appreciated!

kiridude
April 8th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I don't really see the problem. Just install vlc once you've installed Ubuntu and you've got a superior player that plays everything. I had a satellite before and never once used the Toshiba player...

Ben5504
April 9th, 2009, 11:39 PM
The point is that I want to have a media player that maintains the functionality of the media buttons. I've found previous threads for this specific model where that functionality is lost when making the switch to Ubuntu. Seems like the original media player would be nice to save.

Additionally, it's the media player that my wife prefers, and since it's her laptop, I'm trying to keep her happy too ;)

kiridude
April 10th, 2009, 08:45 AM
How about trying to run Ubuntu from the CD and check if the media player works, first. You never know, it may work fine. If not, you're not committed to anything and can return to windows.

From what I understand, this is just a small partition on the HD, so how can I install Ubuntu without erasing that partition?

If it is in its own partition, you will have no problem keeping it. When you install 8.10, one of the installation steps brings up a disk partitioner which will allow you to select how you want your disk partitioned. You can also keep Windows if you so desire and have a dual boot.

Ubuntu needs very little space - a couple of gigs only.