PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] switching mobile broadband usb between ubutnu and windoes?

Quift
April 8th, 2009, 03:10 PM
hi all,

I currently have a problem which I guess has a very simple solution but I cannot seem to find it. I have an huwai usb modem from swedish 3, and I wish to alternate between using it on ubuntu and windows lap tops. ie, my private laptop and my work laptop, meaning I have to use this setup.

if I just close the internet connection and pull the usb fro ubuntu i cannot get the usb to work with the 3 connection program in windows. i guess this is because Ineed to properly unmount the usb but where and how do i do this?

GeorgeVita
April 8th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Hi Quift,

what is the model of your Huawei modem? Using it in Ubuntu from a terminal window: lsusb (post here the output)

How do you connect in Ubuntu? If you are using wvdial post the /etc/wvdial.conf file.

Do you know how to add an extra init AT command and enable modem activity log into windows? (from control panel, modem & dialing, properties, advanced)

The idea is to try find any "bad" setup parameter driving the modem to a "strange" (for windows) state. Possible solution is to add AT&F (restore factory settings) command.

Regards,
George

Quift
April 8th, 2009, 06:00 PM
hi and thank you for your help.

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 12d1:1003 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E220 HSDPA Modem / E270 HSDPA/HSUPA Modem
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

this is the result of lsusb. I just plug it into the usb port, let the network manager find it, configure it and connect. Total amoiunt of time spent configuring = 5s.

really smooth really. Only problem is that I cannot figure out where to unmount it. I'm quite sure that this would solve the problem since I cannt connect in linux if I havn't unmounted it properly in windows either. I would really like to just have a switch when I right click on something to unmount since I would have to do this quite regularly, but not so often as to remembering something to complicated.

GeorgeVita
April 8th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Ok, lets try something.

While connected via Network Manager icon, right click it and the click on Connection Information. Find and remember the communication port it uses to connect (propably /dev/ttyUSB0).

Disconnect, open a terminal window and run:
echo AT&F > /dev/ttyUSB0 (change the port number if it is different)

This will send a Restore Factory Settings command to the modem. Remove the modem and try it with windows.

Waiting your test to continue...

Quift
April 8th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Oh, if that wold be translatable to "hardware adress" then that field is blank.

running the command gives

pierre-emil@pierre-emil-laptop:~$ echo AT&F > /dev/ttyUSB0
AT
[1] 5712
bash: /dev/ttyUSB0: Enhet eller resurs upptagen
[1]+ Done echo AT
pierre-emil@pierre-emil-laptop:~$

unit or resource is busy would be a decent translation. tried with sudo with the same result, ie, no sandwich.

GeorgeVita
April 8th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I just test it to my ZTE modem (Ubuntu 8.10), and have a similar problem.

bash: /dev/ttyUSB3: Device or resource busy appears when I DID NOT disconnect from Network Manager!

Another problem caused bt the & so use double quotes (after disconnecting):
echo "AT&F" > /dev/ttyUSB0

If the problem exists, try echo "AT&F" > /dev/ttyUSB1

G

Quift
April 8th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks a lot, will try this tomorrow at the office.

Again, thanks for your time.

regards, Quift