PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading

toehead2
April 8th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Can I upgrade from 8.04 to 9.04 or do I have to do a fresh install?
When 9.04 becomes the stable release is there something I need to do to upgrade or will it automatically notify me of updates to download for my system?
Thanks

davideotape
April 8th, 2009, 12:18 PM
You will need to upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10, then from 8.10 to 9.04. This can be done by pressing alt+F2, entering "update-manager -d" and pressing enter. You should then be asked if you want to upgrade.

toehead2
April 8th, 2009, 12:26 PM
You will need to upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10, then from 8.10 to 9.04. This can be done by pressing alt+F2, entering "update-manager -d" and pressing enter. You should then be asked if you want to upgrade.

I have only been using Ubuntu since Feb.of this year, I chose 8.04 because it was a stable release and it had support for longest time. I also tried 8.10 live cd of Ubuntu only to experience problems with wifi and resolution. So my question is if I have 8.04 installed and everything working the way I want will I still experience the same problems by upgrading to 8.10 that I did when trying the live cd?

davideotape
April 8th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I have only been using Ubuntu since Feb.of this year, I chose 8.04 because it was a stable release and it had support for longest time. I also tried 8.10 live cd of Ubuntu only to experience problems with wifi and resolution. So my question is if I have 8.04 installed and everything working the way I want will I still experience the same problems by upgrading to 8.10 that I did when trying the live cd?

I'm not sure to be honest. What you can do is try out the daily jaunty liveCD, which can be found here (http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/jaunty/beta), and see if that works.