PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Creative partitions or force drivers early on boot 500MB HD+FlashDrive

volkswagner
April 8th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Hi and thanks for looking.

I am trying to perform an install on a WebDT 366. It has and internal flash drive /dev/hda which is 512MB. I also have a 4Gig CF card installed. Problem is BIOS limitations don't permit booting directly to the flash drive. I have the GX533 Model mentioned here (http://www.windowsfordevices.com/articles/AT8663689368.html).

I have tried to partition the internal drive with /boot and /swap and put / on the CF.

The problem is I get to the boot splash an than it just hangs.

My theory is I either need to force the drivers required to see the CF slot early in boot process, or I need a better partition scheme.

Perhaps if I put / on the internal drive and add several partitions to the CF to contain things like /etc, /var, /usr, /home, etc. I did not want to dice up the CF too much.

As it is now The Mythbuntu install I tried is occupying about 1.5Gig of disk space.

The unit has 256Meg ram. Where is the best place to put /swap? I am guessing the CF would be better because it is easier and probably cheaper to replace.

What do you think would be the best way to setup for such a small boot device?

volkswagner
April 9th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Anyone have an Idea?

What folders need access right off for boot?

I am not sure if I have just a botched install or bad grub setup. I have tried the various methods to install grub. I manually edited the menu.lst file, after manually copying grub folder contents from the /i386 on the cd.

I now get the grub menu list on boot, but still get file not found.

My partitions are as follows:

Internal Flash drive IDE hd0,0
/ 523MB

Compact Flash Card
/swap 512MB
/usr 1500MB
/var 400MB
/home remainder of 4GB disk

I had to make my own menu.lst, because all my attempts to install grub manually, reported writing to menu.lst, but the file was never there. So I copied a menu.lst from another machine, and edited supplementing kernel information from my /boot folder.

I tried editing menu.lst with the UUID found in /etc/fstab on my / partition. Still got error 15 file not found.

I then edited /etc/fstab and changed UUID to /dev/hda, which still give me file not found.