PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Uninstall-Ubuntu.exe

guysagy
April 8th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Hi,

I installed Ubuntu within (i.e. as an application, no dedicated partition) Windows XP Media Center edition. The installation went fine.

Now I am trying to uninstall it from within Windows .... but Uninstall-Ubuntu.exe is simply not running. What may be wrong?
I ran it from a command line, no error message was emitted.

Can I simply delete the D:\ubuntu directory? If yes, will it / how do get rid of the boot time menu to select Windows / Ubuntu?

Thank you,
Guy

lisati
April 8th, 2009, 06:54 AM
It probably wasn't a good idea to run it from the command line. Anything show up on the control panel->add/remove programs?

guysagy
April 8th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Hi,

... and more information:
- the Ubuntu is version 8.04.1.505.
- selecting Change/Remove via the Add or Remove Programs utility gives same results (i.e. nothing happens).
- the option for installing Ubuntu within Windows was one of the options on the CD

Thanks again,
Guy

guysagy
April 8th, 2009, 07:00 AM
That was a quick answer ... I didn't even see it before my 2nd post ... using the command line was to see if any error message is emitted. The CP->Remove option was my first attempt :-).

Guy

lisati
April 8th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Hi,

... and more information:
- the Ubuntu is version 8.04.1.505.
- selecting Change/Remove via the Add or Remove Programs utility gives same results (i.e. nothing happens).
- the option for installing Ubuntu within Windows was one of the options on the CD

Thanks again,
Guy
I'm not sufficiently versed in the anatomy of Windows bootloader to offer any suggestions, and would welcome suggestions from others....

Partyboi2
April 8th, 2009, 07:04 AM
According to the wubi guide (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#How%20do%20I%20manually%20uninstall%20Wu bi?) you should be able to delete it manually by deleting C:\ubuntu and C:\wubildr*. then editing your boot.ini file and removing the entry for ubuntu.

lisati
April 8th, 2009, 07:07 AM
According to the wubi guide (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#How%20do%20I%20manually%20uninstall%20Wu bi?) you should be able to delete it manually by deleting C:\ubuntu and C:\wubildr*. then editing your boot.ini file and removing the entry for ubuntu.

Now why didn't I think of suggesting that? (I think I'd better go off and give myself a severe telling off......)

guysagy
April 8th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Hello,

Thanks a lot all for the real quick help!

I will follow these instructions (if I run into any problems, I will post more questions).

Thanks again ):P,
Guy

Partyboi2
April 8th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Now why didn't I think of suggesting that? (I think I'd better go off and give myself a severe telling off......)
I have moments like these all the time ;)