PDA

View Full Version : Python + opengl game development?

Jeremy Jackins
April 8th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Hi, as a fun project I want to try to develop a (very) simple 3D game using python and opengl. I installed pyOpenGL, and I've been looking around for some reading/tutorials to get me started, but I'm finding myself overwhelmed by the sheer amount of words that begin with GL: glut, glu, glx, glsl, gle etc. I've noticed something called 'pygame' that might be appropriate for what I'm trying to do, but I thought I'd ask if anyone on here has experience on the subject and could give me some advice or point me towards some relevant tools or reading. Thanks!

soltanis
April 8th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Python has SDL bindings, right? If so, I suggest you use those, since SDL does a lot of the work that OpenGL doesn't directly do for you.

GLut is mostly useless (I think that it has a memory leak or something, or its unmaintained now, or something or another, not suitable for game development), although I guess it might have a few things to help you.

Really, OpenGL is all you need. Maybe GLSL too, and SDL for 2D rendering (inevitable), input, sound, networking, etc.

red_team316
April 8th, 2009, 03:37 AM
I would definitely look into pygame. It is the python version of SDL. SDL can handle setting up OpenGL windows and meshes really well together. For an OpenGL/SDL game/app you typically would use OpenGL calls for the drawing and only use SDL for keyboard/audio/joystick/etc.

I've never actually had the need to use pygame(I use C/C++ when using SDL) although have looked at the pygame site a time or two and there is plenty of stuff there to learn from.

Jeremy Jackins
April 8th, 2009, 04:03 AM
thanks! working through a pygame tutorial now.

slavik
April 8th, 2009, 06:48 AM
I would definitely look into pygame. It is the python version of SDL. SDL can handle setting up OpenGL windows and meshes really well together. For an OpenGL/SDL game/app you typically would use OpenGL calls for the drawing and only use SDL for keyboard/audio/joystick/etc.

I've never actually had the need to use pygame(I use C/C++ when using SDL) although have looked at the pygame site a time or two and there is plenty of stuff there to learn from.
glut was designed to be "get a window on the screen as fast as you can and add some basic keyboard controls." glut was designed with OpenGL demos in mind.

Jiraiya_sama
April 8th, 2009, 06:54 AM
GLut is mostly useless (I think that it has a memory leak or something, or its unmaintained now, or something or another, not suitable for game development), although I guess it might have a few things to help you.

It does in fact have memory leaks.