PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] no choice for cd in bios

jeepmonster01
April 8th, 2009, 01:53 AM
i have a disk i was going to boot from and i have found that looking at the start up manager there is not a choice for cd/rom just ubuntu. can anyone help me get cd rom as a choice. i have a sony vgn-fz210ce laptop

taurus
April 8th, 2009, 02:06 AM
You mean there is no option to boot from a CD in the BIOS?

jeepmonster01
April 8th, 2009, 02:11 AM
yes no choice for cd just 4 ubuntu choices and a memory choice

RedSingularity
April 8th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Ubuntu choices??? Sounds like your looking at the GRUB menu not the BIOS. You hitting the correct key at boot time?

larytet
April 8th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Usually F2 or Del after power up should bring BIOS setup program up. It can be also F12.

Boot from CD normally presents in the modern BIOS. If there is nothing there and hard disk and floppy disk are the only available options you can consider to copy the ISO image to the laptop or use WUBI

RedSingularity
April 8th, 2009, 03:27 AM
You can also try F9 at startup. That brings up the boot selector on many computers.

jeepmonster01
April 9th, 2009, 12:04 PM
ive tried these the computer makes beeps after doing those. i was going to change os's but i got this awn manager working now so im keeping ubuntu its way better than vista thank you both for the help. now if i can get my webcam and external speakers to work i would be really happy lol

upchucky
April 9th, 2009, 12:22 PM
google the machine/motherboard/bios to find out how to get to the bios on startup.

the bios is what sets up the hardware before an os is booted, there are settings in the bios that can be changed, be careful do not change anything if you are not completely sure what it does. you can render the pc stoopit and it will not boot, you can render it blind where it boots to a black screen, this requires a serial or usb hookup and a third party pc to fix.

jeepmonster01
April 17th, 2009, 11:49 AM
thank you all ive figured it out!!!