PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gmail won't load in standard view

agberg
April 7th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Gmail has been working fine with Ubuntu 8.10, but today it won't launch. Only way to open it is via the basic HTML view.
Since there's no way to uninstall Gmail w/o deleting the acccount and losing all e-mail, I was wondering if there's any other fix within Ubuntu for it? Thanks.

s.fox
April 7th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Hi,

HTML view is for slower Internet speeds. What is your connection like on other websites?

-Ash R

BDNiner
April 7th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Are yo using the user agent switcher? That normally happens when you have it set to one the IE options.

agberg
April 7th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Are yo using the user agent switcher? That normally happens when you have it set to one the IE options.

What's the user agent switcher? The computer I'm using has dual-booting with XP, but I've used Ubuntu only for the past 10 days. Browser is Firefox 3.0.8, and Gmail loaded fine until today. Now only accessible with basic HTML view, even though my broadband connection is fast and all other web sites load quickly.

BDNiner
April 8th, 2009, 01:27 AM
the user agent switcher is an addon that will enable your firefox browser to display webpages that are coded to work with IE. You can also setup different browsers too. Since you don't know what it is then you don't have it installed.

I use it for my banking websites since it checks whether you are using IE and if you are not you get an error page stating that your browser is not supported.

jdashn
April 8th, 2009, 11:40 PM
I was having a similar problem today as well. I waited a bit on the loading screen and was finally given a message to try https. I then went to https://mail.google.com and was able to access my account using the standard view. I am not sure that this helped but if it was what did the trick, I hope this helps you as well.

Jdashn

sdswingr
April 9th, 2009, 01:01 AM
interesting I am having the same issue, Using firefox...but it only started happening with the latest updates. So it started this morning...but going to mail.google.com works..odd...

edit: so mail.google.com worked, once...then I tried again, adn no dice...wtf?

stim
April 9th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I can confirm gmail is a bit wonky today. Maybe some server issues?

I got an error that said "gmail is taking a long time to load" or something similar, and it suggested I refresh the page. I did any it worked just fine.

Give it some time maybe? It's highly unlikely that its related to our machines in any way.

sdswingr
April 11th, 2009, 04:29 PM
OK, so gmail is working ok now...but it seems google maps is completely messed up. Is this an Ubuntu issue, or is google maps just broken?