PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Wireless doohdad

groeswenphil
April 7th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Using 8.10

Anybody suggest a USB Wireless doohdad that will work with this computer?

Phil

PriceChild
April 7th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I think that these days a good proportion of wireless dongles work fine with Ubuntu... however even if the packaging is the same, the chipset used inside may vary.

Your best bet is to go to where you are buying it from with your laptop to see if it will work, or take a livecd and boot it up on a computer there with the dongle in to test.

DarkReaper79
April 7th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I think that these days a good proportion of wireless dongles work fine with Ubuntu... however even if the packaging is the same, the chipset used inside may vary.

Your best bet is to go to where you are buying it from with your laptop to see if it will work, or take a livecd and boot it up on a computer there with the dongle in to test.

That is the perfect advice. My thoughts are stay away from the netgear MA111 v2. My gf had mine, and i could not for the life of me get it working. I followed all the steps I could find. Ended up making a bigger hole in the wall and ran a cable through it. Even on my laptop I am wired in, unless I leave my desk. Then of course its wireless.

groeswenphil
April 7th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Solved. Borrowed my wife's BELKIN doohdad which is about a year old.
At first, nothing. Switched off, switched on again, immediately recognised, asked for wireless key and password and TAADAA everything works.

Ubuntu is getting better all the time.
Phil

PriceChild
April 8th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Good to hear! Personally, I'm wondering why I stopped saying 'doohdah' and started with 'dongle'...

groeswenphil
April 8th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Today I bought a Belkin Wireless G USB adaptor. Worked perfectly right out of the box.
Phil