PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] choppy movies when playing in full screen

jaceh14
April 7th, 2009, 09:03 AM
i watched a movie today on ubuntu for the first time. it played pretty smooth in non-full screen mode, but when i went to put it in full screen, it was really choppy. does anyone know how i can fix this. i tried watching it with totem and vlc media player, and both of them did this. thanks

jace

aeiah
April 7th, 2009, 10:24 AM
what video card do you have, and have you installed the drivers?

MrWES
April 7th, 2009, 12:02 PM
i watched a movie today on ubuntu for the first time. it played pretty smooth in non-full screen mode, but when i went to put it in full screen, it was really choppy. does anyone know how i can fix this. i tried watching it with totem and vlc media player, and both of them did this. thanks

jace

Are you running compiz visual effects? If so, disable it and that should solve the choppy video.

Bill

jaceh14
April 7th, 2009, 05:22 PM
yea, i have compiz enabled. i'll try it without that enabled. i have an ATI Radeon with the driver enabled. it's probably the compiz thing. i'll give that a go around. thanks for the help

jace

MrWES
April 7th, 2009, 05:34 PM
yea, i have compiz enabled. i'll try it without that enabled. i have an ATI Radeon with the driver enabled. it's probably the compiz thing. i'll give that a go around. thanks for the help

jace

If that is the case, there is an icon called fusion-icon that sits in the upper right corner notification area. It allows you to turn compiz on and off easily and quickly.

http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/03/25/toggle-compiz-with-fusion-icon-in-ubuntu-804/

Bill