PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Just Installed Kubuntu, have some issues/questions...

JakeYGS
April 7th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Alright, so I just installed the Kubuntu on my laptops, and figured I'd post all my issues here and see if I could get any help...

I'll just lay everything out here actually;

The Good:

The look (I didn't come from Vista, but XP, so this is a major visual upgrade, though it's probably not doing much for performance).
The speed of start-up/shut down compared to XP.
The fact that it's free, it looks clean, and it runs well. And the "Ooh, what's that?" factor of having a computer different from everyone else's.
I've (more or less) figured out how installing software works with the built-in tool.

The Bad (or simply annoying):

I'm used to Windows Media Player. Yeah, I know, it sucks, but it kept my music library accessible and it made sense. I've got Amarok here, but haven't figured out how to delete things from the library (like the system audio files... wtf?) and also don't see how to play all music without adding it to a playlist. Basically, if you've got a suggestion for a better media player, I'm all ears. Otherwise this one is fine, I'll google for more info on it.
Firefox is fugly. Mainly the tabs (see pic). It's not a real problem, just annoying, especially since it works so well on the Windows OS... http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/YouGotShot/snapshot1.png
I don't know how to install downloaded files from browser. I tried with firefox before a friend introduced me to the tool used in Ubuntu, and I got it to run, but not to appear on the program menu/desktop.
Not entirely pleased with Kopete for AIM; anyone know of a better program?

The Ugly (you know, legitimate problems):
I figured out how to make sleep mode work when I close the laptop, but now when I open it the screen remains black. Last time I mashed down all the buttons on the keyboard and something worked somehow; started it as if starting up from shut down. But still, that's obviously not how it's supposed to happen. Also would like to know how to make Fn-F4 work for sleep mode rather then just closing the laptop.
Sometimes, something freezes. It's happened twice when browsing the internet. It's a computer, it happens. Being a Windows user I usually go for ctrl-alt-del (as that usually is enough of a smack in the face of stupid programs that they run without a forced stop), but in Kubuntu I'm not sure what I'm "supposed" to do.
Connection software that was included did not detect secured wireless network. Is that normal? How do I connect to a secured network?

I really appreciate the help, guys.

anjilslaire
April 7th, 2009, 02:41 AM
I love AmaroK. You can specify the music dirctory in the settings, so that should solve the problem of the library listing every audio file in the OS.

What files are you wanting to download/run from a browser? We strongly recommend you use the repositories & built-in tools to install software. You are assured it's compatible and safe. You can enable extra sources like Universe & Multiverse to get a huge range of applications and games.

I prefer Pidgin for my IM uses. You can install it via Add/Remove, synaptic, or via a konsole via

sudo apt-get install pidgin

I've used kubuntu, ubuntu, and lately Xubuntu. But, no matter what desktop environment I use at any given time, I always simply install whatever applcations I prefer, like pidgin for IM, K3B for disc burning, firefox, etc.

hessczoo
April 7th, 2009, 02:46 AM
I'm not sure what version you are using, but I have heard issues of sleep not working. I always keep mine on, so I don't know if I have the issue, but maybe someone can help you there.

As for Firefox, maybe try a different theme for it, so it matches your desktop and is more eye pleasing.

JakeYGS
April 7th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Thanks for your replies;

Anjil, I don't actually have anything in mind. Initially I tried to get Firefox that way off www.mozilla.org simply because that was what I was used to with windows. Using the built-in software should actually be fine, especially if there's risks involved in doing it otherwise. That's why it's in "The Bad" and not "The Ugly," lol.

Hess, thanks for the idea. I actually never used firefox themes on windows, so I never thought to try it.

JakeYGS
April 7th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Ok, added a network problem I had the other day that I had forgotten about.