PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ssh Not connecting

tbear55387
April 6th, 2009, 11:56 PM
I have a server behind a netgear router. and I am tring to connect to the server(boxA) from machine B, but when I type ssh boxA it hangs. I have checked the iptables and nothing is found. I am able to use svn+ssh to connect, Putty connects. No other computers connects to boxA. Any ideas????

ptn107
April 7th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Try:

ssh -vv boxA
see what it says.

MrWES
April 7th, 2009, 12:22 AM
I have a server behind a netgear router. and I am tring to connect to the server(boxA) from machine B, but when I type ssh boxA it hangs. I have checked the iptables and nothing is found. I am able to use svn+ssh to connect, Putty connects. No other computers connects to boxA. Any ideas????

Do you have an account on boxA?

Bill

tbear55387
April 7th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Sorry about that I ran a command and it took down the server all night - oops!
OpenSSH_4.3p2, OpenSSL 0.9.8b 04 May 2006
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug1: Applying options for *
debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
then hangs

tbear55387
April 7th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Okay after trying again here is some more of what I recieved:
OpenSSH_4.3p2, OpenSSL 0.9.8b 04 May 2006
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug1: Applying options for *
debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to xx.servername.xx [xx.xx.xx.xx] port 22.
debug1: connect to address xx.xx.xx.xx port 22: Connection timed out
ssh: connect to host xx.servername.xx port 22: Connection timed out

i have checked the router and it forwards to the server. I am able to connect using programs like putty just not from command line or using tools like sftp or scp or ssh from command line

The Cog
April 7th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Let's make sure it is trying to connect.
While SSH is trying to connect, i.e. before it says Connection timed out, run this command from another shell:
netstat -tn
and see if you can see a connection to the server in question port 22 in the SYN_SENT state. If not, then for some reason SSH isn't really trying to connect. If the entry is there, then suspect router forwarding not being right, or a firewall issue.

tbear55387
April 7th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I went and typed ssh to box A from box B; boc B states it is trying to connect, I then netstat -tn and found SYN_SENT.

The Cog
April 7th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Then it must be a port forwarding problem so the router isn't actually forwarding port 22 properly, a firewall blocking the connection, or a plain routing problem where B can't each a at all. If your request was getting through (and replies getting back) you would quickly either get the connection accepted. Or rejected if SSH wasn't listening.

SYN_SENT means the connection request has been sent but no response received yet.

tbear55387
April 9th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Thanks you for your help. I will look down that path and see what I can find out. Many thanks.