PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help me, please! I'm about to get rid of Ubuntu, I'm so frustrated!

Murderuption
April 6th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Since upgrading to ubuntu, I've had numerous problems.

1) Only one speaker works on my laptop
2) The headphone jack won't work
3) When typing, the line that indicates where I'm typing tends to jump around, causing me to **** up my research papers.

Could anyone please help me? The third thread I have started and no one cares to respond.

balloooza
April 6th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Ok first the line that indicates the reserch paper, can you tell me as much as you can, is it JUST openoffice, or everywhere

I can also help you with the audio problem, have you ever opened the voloume conntroller

Murderuption
April 6th, 2009, 09:41 PM
It's not just in open office. Yes, I have opened the volume control and tried adjusting the balance and everyything. No luck.

Thanks a whole lot.

Murderuption
April 6th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Well, you know how there's a vertical line as you type? The kind indicates where you are? Well, it jumps around. One minute it'll be right here :: and the next minute, it'll jump to the end of this line ^ or somewhere else causing my words to look like thokayis.

inxygnuu
April 6th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Mine does that too. What kind of laptop do you have? that may be of help.

Temposs
April 6th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Your issue with the cursor(that's what the vertical line is called) may be from you accidentally tapping your touchpad with your wrist as you type. Are you using a laptop with a touchpad? Can you tap to click? If this is the case, you probably want to turn off the tap clicking.

Murderuption
April 6th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I have a Gateway.

mechoid9
April 6th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Hmm...

Which Audio Driver are you using?

Murderuption
April 6th, 2009, 09:48 PM
how would i turn off tap clicking?

Temposs
April 6th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I have a Gateway.

Saying you have a Gateway isn't particularly helpful. You need to give the particular model that you have.

Murderuption
April 6th, 2009, 09:50 PM
HDA Intel is the audio driver.

Murderuption
April 6th, 2009, 09:51 PM
It's a Gateway M-Series.

Thanks.

Mulenmar
Your issue with the cursor(that's what the vertical line is called) may be from you accidentally tapping your touchpad with your wrist as you type. Are you using a laptop with a touchpad? Can you tap to click? If this is the case, you probably want to turn off the tap clicking.

That's always been the problem on my laptop. There's a function in the BIOS menu (what comes up when you hit F1 or whatever button it says to enter Setup) on mine to disable the trackpad, but be careful looking in there.

I assume (stupid question here) that the speaker worked before (in Windoze)?

Twitch6000

This is indeed his problem with the verticle line,I know from experience sadly lol..

As for your audio only half way working put in your headphones then go to sound devices and mess around with what sound settings to use.

Normally OSS or ALSA work best.

Murderuption
April 6th, 2009, 09:53 PM
The headphone jack doesn't work. :(

Temposs
April 6th, 2009, 09:55 PM
how would i turn off tap clicking?

Open a terminal with Applications->Accessories->Terminal. Type this:

sudo apt-get install gsynaptics

After you type in your password and the install process is finished, go to System->Preferences->Mouse, and click the Touchpad tab. Make sure that "Enable mouse clicks with touchpad" is not checked. If it is, uncheck it. Then touching your touchpad will no longer register a click.

Murderuption
April 6th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Done. Thanks a whole lot. :D Hopefully, it'll solve that problem.

What about the headphone jack and speaker problems? Do you know anything about that?

Thank you.

SunnyRabbiera
April 6th, 2009, 10:01 PM
The headphone jack doesn't work. :(

Does it have any other output jacks?
Speakers?
I have an issue with my front headphone jack, thats why I use my back jack for sound.
It could be a device that is linux unfriendly, would not be surprised as its a gateway.

Murderuption
April 6th, 2009, 10:02 PM
It's a laptop and only has a mic jack and a headphone/speaker jack. :(

sneeks
April 6th, 2009, 10:07 PM
It's a laptop and only has a mic jack and a headphone/speaker jack. :(

ahh,had this a little while ago,have you fully opened the volume control panel and ticked all the boxes that apply to you,if you have not do so,and adjust the jack in question..
hope it helps..

Murderuption
April 6th, 2009, 10:14 PM
what do you mean?

Hellstudios
April 6th, 2009, 10:17 PM
if you have a dual boot of windows and ubuntu just pop in the ubuntu live CD go to

system >> admin >> partition editor

delete the ubuntu partition then reformat it to FAT32, reboot, and you should be good to go.

(by the way the new partition will be detected as another hard drive)

sorry ubuntu didn't work out for you.

Murderuption
April 6th, 2009, 10:18 PM
i don't have a dual boot and i don't want windows. it sucks. i like ubuntu, there's just stupid little problems that pop up.

lhb1142
April 6th, 2009, 10:23 PM
:KS May I suggest that you go here:

< http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683 >

and scroll down to near the bottom of the page where you'll see the header:

--PART 5/5, MISCELLANEOUS & TROUBLESHOOTING--

Under "Various Tips and Tricks," after "Firefox Add-ons" and "Firefox Fonts," you'll see "Laptop Touchpad," the instructions for which are version-specific.

These instructions should help you with your cursor "jumping" problem.

This Comprehensive Multimedia Guide may also help you with your audio problems.

When I right-click on my Volume Control icon (at the right side of the top panel), I do NOT click on "Preferences," but, rather, I click on "Open Volume Control."

Within that box, at the lower right, you will see another "Preferences" choice on which to click. (I always make sure that every choice within that "Preferences" is activated so I can see the whole picture).

This may show you any untoward setting(s) which may be present. Among other things, make sure that your Headphone setting is not muted and that all settings DO have their channels "locked" together so that one side cannot be attenuated individually (you do not want adjustments to be able to be made to individual channels except in certain unusual situations). In other words, when you attenuate any of the choices (Master, Headphone, PCM, etc.), both of the channels should operate together.

I hope that this is of some help to you. ):P

Hellstudios
April 6th, 2009, 10:29 PM
i don't have a dual boot and i don't want windows. it sucks. i like ubuntu, there's just stupid little problems that pop up.

Thank God. :p

Temposs
April 6th, 2009, 10:34 PM
If the above ideas don't work for you, try this:

I'm seeing some folks around the forums saying that their headphone jack will actually work if it's plugged in when the computer is turned on. Why don't you try plugging in your headphones and restarting the computer. See if your headphones work then.

If it works, it'll at least provide a partial solution while you search for a better solution.

Murderuption
April 6th, 2009, 10:57 PM
None of the aforementioned seems to be working. Any help?

lhb1142
April 6th, 2009, 11:18 PM
:KS The only further suggestion I can make is to "wipe" your computer (using DBAN or similar) and then do a clean standard re-install of Ubuntu (preferably v. 8.10). Hopefully that will allow all functions of your computer to work normally.

I understand that on rare occasions the installation of Ubuntu (or any other operating system) does not proceed smoothly, for whatever reason. A second installation, as I have described above, should proceed without difficulty.

I wish you the best of luck. ):P

albinootje
April 6th, 2009, 11:19 PM
None of the aforementioned seems to be working. Any help?

Are those normal headphones or usb headphones ?
Several weeks ago I've done some research before buying usb headphones, and after I bought the compatible-with-Linux headset I had some problems making them work.
I had to go into -> System -> Preferences -> Sound, and make some changes because the autodetect didn't work with it.

Are you using a newer Ubuntu release ? At a certain moment Ubuntu switched to pulseaudio as the default sound software, but you still have the option to try Alsa, and OSS.

albinootje
April 6th, 2009, 11:21 PM
:KS The only further suggestion I can make is to "wipe" your computer (using DBAN or similar) and then do a clean standard re-install of Ubuntu (preferably v. 8.10).

If you want to do this, then I recommend at least testing the "try without installing" option of an Ubuntu Jaunty Beta desktop cdrom.
Jaunty is looking very good I think, and it's only a few weeks before it will be officially released.
Just give it a try, why not ? You can try without installing :)

Volt9000
April 6th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Try this: double-click the speaker icon in your systray to bring up the volume control. Choose your device from the drop-down list at the top then select the Playback tab. Click the Preferences button and look for anything that looks like it may pertain to the headphone jack, and place a checkmark next to that. If in doubt, just place checkmarks next to all "Playback" items listed. When you click Close the volume control window should be updated with the selected devices. Crank up the volume on all of them and click Close, then try out your sound again.

I may just be grasping at straws here, but it may also be possible that Linux sees your headphone output as a separate device. In that case go to System > Preferences > Sound and under Music and Movies choose a specified device, instead of "Autodetect". Try different devices, as it may be one you don't suspect.

krzysz00
April 7th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Try getting rid of pulseaudio

sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio