PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Capitalized User Name

BslBryan
April 6th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Hello, everyone.

I'm not much of a beginner anymore, but it seems that this was the only place this belongs. It's beginning to be a cosmetic annoyance that every time I open up a terminal, my name is not capitalized, and the same goes for my GDM login. I know this can be changed somehow, because this is a feature, and other Linux distros like Fedora don't mind one bit. Please advise.

Thanks! :p

metallicamike
April 6th, 2009, 09:31 PM
In ubuntu, open System->Administration->Users and groups. Select your names and press properties. Then you can change your login name and password from there. :) Make sure you hit unlock and enter your pass first

BslBryan
April 6th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks for such a speedy reply. Unfortunately, this doesn't help me change my User name. This makes me think that I'll have to do something without a GUI.

I also tried to create a new user name with a capital letter, but it gave me an error. I've attached two screenshots.

metallicamike
April 6th, 2009, 09:43 PM
According to the error it sounds like you cant have a capitalized username. I wouldnt know because mine is also lowercase

EDIT: I just confirmed that you can't have a capitalized username.

BslBryan
April 6th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Look here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/adduser/+bug/127967

His or her bug report gives really vague instructions, so I know it can be done.

metallicamike
April 6th, 2009, 10:08 PM
those instuctions are a little too vague. i tried

sed /etc/{passwd,passwd-,shadow,shadow-,group,group-} but i dont think it worked.

LowSky
April 6th, 2009, 10:15 PM
you should have read the thread on launchpad more carefully, then next post give you more information

...This is not a bug, this is a feature. Some systems like mail delivery systems won't deliver to such users because they lowercase the name before lookup.

The username must match the regular expression configured via the NAME_REGEX[_SYSTEM] configuration variable. The default is NAME_REGEX="^[a-z][-a-z0-9]*\$". You can use the `--force-badname' option to relax this check or reconfigure NAME_REGEX or NAME_REGEX_SYSTEM. You can change it in /etc/adduser.conf

here is more infor on /etc/adduser.conf
http://www.annodex.net/cgi-bin/man/man2html?adduser.conf+5

BslBryan
April 6th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Can someone give me their adduser.conf?

At least copy and paste the lines after

# If ADD_EXTRA_GROUPS is set to something non-zero, the EXTRA_GROUPS
# option above will be default behavior for adding new, non-system users
#ADD_EXTRA_GROUPS=1

I deleted it out of stupidity. Sorry for the inconvenience. I'll try --force-badname.

Thanks. :p

BslBryan
April 6th, 2009, 11:09 PM
bump.

Sorry, but it's more than just capitalization now, I'm missing a piece of code. ;)

kanikilu
April 6th, 2009, 11:12 PM
My unmodified adduser.conf (in .txt) is attached.

hessczoo
April 6th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Capitalized usernames are very not linux friendly, I would suggest using lowercase and just not trying to modify them.

BslBryan
April 6th, 2009, 11:39 PM
GNU and the Linux Kernel are both very case-sensitive. However, in regards to user name, I've found that it is different. I suppose Ubuntu developers just wanted to make certain that everything would work as smoothly as possible, but as pointed out in the website, it can be changed. Thanks, also for the adduser file. It helped a lot. :D