PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] lost download on firefox 5.0 Win xp

indianajo
April 6th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Hi, I downloaded ubuntu 8.1 x386 yesterday, took 4 hours. Burned it to disk using Win Exp (xp service pack 3), "Install boot disk in CDROM"result by bios. Saw in a searched thread that I should download as an "image". Found an image burn function in Nero installed on my xp hard drive, saved file is missing from Windows Explorer. Had kept the download file in the Mozilla Firefox 5.0 "downloads" window, this used to mean it was still in the "desktop" file, but not anymore. Can't find it in "Mozilla" files or "owner" file. Search of c: disk doesn't find it. Do I have to download again? Do you know where firefox saves the downloads nowbefore you erase them from the 'download" window? Pasting the link from download window into the Nero window didn't work. Incidently, the recommended windows burner "infrarecord" on the ubuntu community help file, requires that I agree to sale of my name, url, email address to anybody, also I consent to free advertising and popups. Declined the install of Infrarecord, I'm leaving windows xp because Microsoft communicates over the internet 10 times on boot up without permission now after service pack 3.

Seq
April 6th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I'm not sure what happened to your file, but I thought I'd mention imgburn (http://www.imgburn.com/) for burning ISO images in Windows. It's quick and simple.

LowSky
April 6th, 2009, 07:34 PM
if you downloaded the file it will place them where ever you tell it to or how you set up Firefox. Usually on the desktop or in the My Documents folder. Even clearing the Download window will not erase the files downloaded, it only erases the history, and cashed files, like click to play videos. doing a search for ubuntu should find it

carml
April 6th, 2009, 07:37 PM
You should look under View(the 3rd mený from left,mine is in Italian) and select Preferences,anyway it look odd you can't find that file:it's a file of quite 700 MB.
To burn the image file (Ubuntu8.0x.iso) you can also use Nero,just select a low burnig speed.
I hope this can help you,if not you can dowload the file again using Bittorrent,so it should be finished in a few time.):P

wmcbrine
April 6th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Someone ought to mention that there's no Firefox 5.0 yet. That would be several years away. :) Speaking only of Firefox 3.0 and earlier, a file's presence in the Download manager has never indicated its presence on disk, only that it was downloaded.

If you don't know where you downloaded to, the simplest thing might be to start a new download of a different file, and note the path.

As far as I know, Windows XP can burn an ISO image without the need for any add-on software.

carml
April 6th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Someone ought to mention that there's no Firefox 5.0 yet. That would be several years away. :) Speaking only of Firefox 3.0 and earlier, a file's presence in the Download manager has never indicated its presence on disk, only that it was downloaded.

If you don't know where you downloaded to, the simplest thing might be to start a new download of a different file, and note the path.

As far as I know, Windows XP can burn an ISO image without the need for any add-on software.
You're right :lolflag: how we can missed that?
Anyway I'd prefer to use a Burning Software rather than use the function on Xp,once it was provided from the same sof. house of Easy Burning and I had a bad experience with that utility a long time ago. :)

t0p
April 6th, 2009, 08:04 PM
BTW can the OP please post a link to the tutorial that advises use of Infrarecord? I'm sure Ubuntu doesn't want to be associated a company selling its customers' personal details.

carml
April 6th, 2009, 08:10 PM
BTW can the OP please post a link to the tutorial that advises use of Infrarecord? I'm sure Ubuntu doesn't want to be associated a company selling its customers' personal details.
+1 now I remember the first topic :confused:

indianajo
April 6th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks everybody. "about firefox" has two numbers, 3.0.8 at the top and 5.0 at the bottom. The organization requiring sale of personal information to sell data to use infrarecord was uberdownload, the url that the download icon for infrarecord links to in the help. Looking up "imgburn." Searching couldnt find the 699 mb file on my hard drive, defrag last night probably did something with it. Read it in under windows from the "data" CD I had made, burned as image under Nero, unplugged windows hard drive, booted, got language screen and another screen, when tried to "run without changing anything" got disc corrupted error, will download again. there is some checksum stuff on the download screen, will tryto download checksum utility and check before complaining again. End of this thread. Indianajo

wmcbrine
April 7th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Thanks everybody. "about firefox" has two numbers, 3.0.8 at the top and 5.0 at the bottom.Ah, that's the User Agent line... it says "Mozilla 5.0" for weird historical reasons, trying to please some old browser detection code. It's not the real version number of anything. It's said that for, what, ten years now? Ignore it.

Searching couldnt find the 699 mb file on my hard drive, defrag last night probably did something with it.Defrag doesn't remove files.