PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Epson Stylus Photo PX700W printer - suitability

Scunnered
April 6th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I am considering an Epson Stylus Photo PX700W printer and wonder about its suitability for working with Ubuntu. I wish to have wireless printing available and this is my main concern. I can live without scans as it is photo quality prints that I seek. My Stylus Photo R265 works well but I have been unable to make it available to an XP laptop therefore the desire for wireless conectivity.

Linux printing states that this mostly works but then goes on to say "This printer entry is not yet included in the Foomatic packages and the data on this page is not verified" but elsewhere on the site it advises that Foomatic will work with Ubuntu.

Can anyone advise if this printer will work with 8.10 or 9.04 without having to mess about with having to load drivers and the like?

In the past I made a mistake with a printer when using Puppy and I am now ultra carefull with printers.

Your kind assistance will be most appreciated

halitech
April 6th, 2009, 07:03 PM
unless someone else has one then I would say it should work

http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Epson-Stylus_Photo_700

I think they put that on alot of printers just due to the fact that unless they actually have one then they have no way of testing it to confirm for themselves. they are just doing a little "CYA" in case it doesnt work for someone else.

Scunnered
April 6th, 2009, 08:21 PM
halitech

Thanks for your reply. Like you I think that it is a case of CYA but as the printer is the best part of £150.00 I am loath to part with that amount of cash for a paperweight.

The link you provided was for a standard Epson not the one that I had asked about but the information was similar.

Epson now appear to be issuing drivers for their latest printers but in speaking to their technical folk the best they will give you is a steer to the location of the driver. I have no idea what to do if I found it and this was a concern to me. Speaking to their distributors locally they still come strong on only supporting Windows.

I will see if anyone comes up with anything else and then see what my options are.

Thanks again

halitech
April 6th, 2009, 11:26 PM
oppps, sorry, missed the PX part of the model. That one doesn't look as promising

http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Epson-Stylus_Photo_PX700W

Epson Stylus Photo PX700W
Color inkjet printer, max. 5760x1440 dpi, works Mostly
Recommended driver: pipslite 1.2.0
Generic instructions for: CUPS, LPD, LPRng, PPR, PDQ, no spooler

I was in the same boat a few months ago when I was looking for a cheap b&w laser printer. I finally went with the Samsung ML2510 which works perfectly but I looked on the open printing site until I found one that was supposed to work perfectly. I'd keep looking since the PX700w doesn't look promising. Generally HPs are usually pretty good.

http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi

Scunnered
April 7th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Once again my thanks for your reply.

I have used Epson for years and particularly like their photo quality. Used HP at work but felt that Epson beat them for what I was looking for.

Have put pressure on Epson to see if they will give a definitive statement about whether it will work or not as their local suppliers keep puting out the Microsoft only supported rubbish.

If I am forced to I will stick with what I have and just live with the lack of space on my table.

In the event that I get positive info I will advise

ramjet_1953
April 7th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I know from you post that you said you preferred Epson, but if you intend using Linux as your primary OS, I'd seriously consider HP.

That said, sometimes with bleeding-edge HP printers, you may need to wait a little while for a Linux driver.

I have been using a HP psc1350 low cost all-in-one for 4 years now.
Admittedly, every 3 months, I open it up, clean and lubricate things, but this has paid dividends, as it still operates like new.

I also re-fill the cartridges and after something like 20,000 pages, I'm still on only my second set of cartridges.

The secret is to never let them fall below 25% and to add about .5 mil of Windex window cleaner each time you re-fill. Keeps the little suckers free from clogging.

Regards,
Roger ;)

Scunnered
April 7th, 2009, 10:09 AM
ramjet_1953

Thanks for your comments. I await Epsons advice so I am holding off from any switch. Up till now I am not too impressed with HP*photo quality and as it is photos that matter most there will need to be more research done.

Will keep you posted when Epson get back to me.

Scunnered
May 3rd, 2009, 10:29 AM
Epson still comitted to the Windows party line. Advise that drivers are available but not by Epson but 3rd party. I say that HP had a conversion kit to set up wireless and asked Epson but they have nothing similar.

I think that I will have one final attempt at having my current USB printer networked so that my friend can use it without causing chaos.

Once again my thanks to all for their kind assistance

howefield
June 26th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Did you go for that model ?

I have just bought one, and have it printing fine from the lower paper tray but struggling to get it to use the upper tray. I'll keep messing around.

Scunnered
June 27th, 2009, 07:52 AM
howefield

No I held off as there was little or no assurance that it would work. I managed to network my R265 so I still have a cluttered desk but for the moment can live with that.

I appreciate your advice and provided I can get it at a reasonable price I might yet go for it.

Many thanks

howefield
October 12th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Sorry for dragging up an old thread, just to let you know that the PX700W is working perfectly with 9.10 (Beta plus all updates)

Scanning, printing both trays, remote card reading ect ect, superb.

Had to go through the setup network printer wizard, selecting make and model, ect, but all very quick and simple.

The two hardware "issues" I had with 9.04 and previous (printer & webcam) are now fixed with Karmic.

Scunnered
October 12th, 2009, 04:17 PM
howefield

Many thanks for your advice. You must be reading my mail!

I had another go at Epson only for them to trot out the usual rubbish about only supporting Windows and Apple.

I fully intent to adopt 9.10 immediately it is finalised. Did you need to chase up drivers for the printer or did everything work out of the box via Cups?

I will now start price checking pending your reply. I am keen to reclaim space on my desk and hope that I can now do so and make the place tidy.

I appreciate you remembering my request and getting back to me with this good news.

My sincere thanks

GaryUK
February 24th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Sorry for dragging up an old thread, just to let you know that the PX700W is working perfectly with 9.10 (Beta plus all updates)

Scanning, printing both trays, remote card reading ect ect, superb.

Had to go through the setup network printer wizard, selecting make and model, ect, but all very quick and simple.

The two hardware "issues" I had with 9.04 and previous (printer & webcam) are now fixed with Karmic.

Howefield, I can't quite see how you can have got scanning working when you are network printing - the PX700W is not officially supported in network scanning mode.

That said, I have got printing and scanning working across a network under 10.04 Lucid.

Please see here for how to fix the scanning so that it will work over a network:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10491257

I note that you are forum staff - can I respectfully point out that I found your post misleading and that it caused me extra work trying to work out what you had done.

This would have been remedied with links/more info but, honestly, I suppose that I cannot complain as I found the answer some time ago but did not have enough time to document - a situation that I have now remedied as you will see from my link above.

Thanks for all you do for the forum and I hope that my twopenneth helps someone somewhere...

Regards,

Gary.