PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] screen resolution cuts off 'okay' dialog

tlxreed
April 6th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Howdy all,

I've just got Hardy running on my HP Pavilion dv9000 laptop. I was looking at the hardware drivers and noticed an NVidia driver available, so I enabled it. Previously the system had the 17" screen set to 800x600, which is too low for this much screen real estate.

After rebooting, the lower task bar is hidden and the okay/cancel buttons of many preference windows are hidden including the monitor resolution window. I can open the preference but can't see the button which would okay a change in the resolution. It looks like the system is using the NVidia driver, which is probably what caused this change.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

WatchingThePain
April 6th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Hi,
I haven't tried this so you may need to Google, I believe there is a command line utility called xrandr to resize the display.

tlxreed
April 7th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Since I can't see the dialog box buttons, perhaps someone could open their monitor resolution preference panel and tell me if their is a keyboard shortcut for the 'apply' or 'okay' button. I'm thinking I can open the panel and hit control-key to apply the new resolution.