PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What is Faster Graphic card?

atulbamne
April 6th, 2009, 01:30 PM
When I wanted to change my Desktop Appearance, it says for full effects of graphics, you need a fast graphic card. Whether it refers to RAM or separate grapgic card? Can I put my settings to the optimum if I have Celeron 2.4 with 512 MB RAM? Thanks in advance for help.

rams123
April 6th, 2009, 02:01 PM
That means you need a good/fast graphic card, it's not related to RAM. Eventhough adjusting effects to "none" will increase your speed.

Anyone correct me,if I'm wrong..

JohnLM_the_Ghost
April 6th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Graphics card (aka Video Card) is what drives most that comes up on your screen and (usually) comes with it's own set of processor (GPU unit) and memory (colloquially called VRAM)

Faster Graphics card usually refers to a graphics card with more VRAM and faster clock rates for GPU and VRAM.

NVIDIA GeForce series or ATI Radeon series cards are two examples.

So what is your current graphics card?

EDIT: Considering your specs I assume you might have one of those integrated Intel cards.
They are very basic and don't have really processing power for fancy graphics.

atulbamne
April 6th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I have not put any separate Graphic card in my PC. This means that i should better put my settings to "none" to have better speed. Right?

LowSky
April 6th, 2009, 03:00 PM
basically yes.

FaizanKazi
April 6th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Hi! I'd say you a little lower ram than you should. Save up to get a single stick of 1 Giga Byte (1 GB) DDR RAM (i think your celeron uses DDR 1). Add it to what you already have so a good 1.5 GB total would be GREAT!!

as for the graphics card, what would seem to match your system really well and give you good graphics performance, even with vista or windows 7 for the next three years would be an Nvidia 9500 GT. its good for a decent bit of gaming too Quake 4 on Medium/low, or FEAR on low settings at 1024 * 768 pixels.

atulbamne
April 8th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Sorry I cannot upgrade to 1.5 GB in total because i have 256+256 MB ram and i have only 2 slots. I will have to throw these two sticks in that case. Anyway, i will do it in coming days when I have some extra money to spend. Till that time, I will put my settings to "none" to have better speed.

Thanks for your opinion, Friend.