PDA

View Full Version : [kde] Blank messages in Thunderbird

fredbird67
April 6th, 2009, 02:02 AM
My father-in-law, who has PCLinuxOS installed on his computer (hence the "KDE" prefix on this one, even though I personally use GNOME), is having a problem with incoming E-mail messages being blank, and he can't figure out what's going on. I had him forward them to me, and they showed up just fine on my Ubuntu box, and I didn't have to do a thing to make them show up properly in my E-mail. Why?

Thanx in advance,
Fred in St. Louis, MO USA

battlebison
April 6th, 2009, 02:59 AM
I'm not sure what would cause that, but has he tried the obvious fix of uninstalling and reinstalling Thunderbird? If he can forward the e-mails to you, his mail server and the e-mails themselves must be just fine and if it's only Thunderbird and not any other package on his system that's messing up, it can only really be the mail client.

I'm not sure if you were looking for a fix or if it was just out of curiosity to know why messages would show as blank?

fredbird67
April 7th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Well, it's a little bit of both.

He also had a...I think it was brother, maybe cousin of his, that sent him something via E-mail, but he instead sent it as a .docx (Word 2007) file -- and PCLOS 2007 came out well before OpenOffice 3 did!

However, having bought a newer computer last fall for only $50 (yes -- NEW and preinstalled with Ubuntu Hardy, no less!), I've got my older one that, once the final version Jaunty Jackalope comes out, I think I'm gonna put Ubuntu 9.04 on and give to him instead. Jaunty, BTW, comes with OpenOffice 3, which has Office 2007 support, so that'll be a definite improvement right there in and of itself.

Oh, and another thing -- my father-in-law lives out in the boonies where he can't get DSL or cable Internet and is therefore on dialup. Also, he is one of the most computer IL-literate people around and is very highly prone to PEBKAC errors! LOL But hey, if he succeeded with PCLOS, I dare say he can handle Ubuntu. I will, however, disable the automatic update notices for him, since that would take too long to download on dialup.

He originally asked me to get a copy of Windows XP for him (upgrade from 98 ) and I told him we couldn't afford it, which we couldn't, and we ultimately twisted his arm until he agree to give Linux a shot. The thing that made him agree to give it a try was the fact that Linux isn't prone to viruses, and by golly, he's come to like it! :-) Oh, and just for him, I'll also set it up to have that Windows XP look and feel, too. ;-)