PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How to extract subtitle file

conryf
April 5th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I have a DVD with a big fat scratch and an avi file. The DVD is itself unplayable. However, the avi works fine. The catch is, the movie is in thai and it kind of hard to watch without subtitles. Is ther a way to extract jus tthe subtitles from the DVD?

bertolo
April 6th, 2009, 01:34 AM
why don't search for them on google.

conryf
April 6th, 2009, 01:43 AM
I did. Unforunately there's nothing availble. It's not a terribly common movie.

Didius Falco
April 6th, 2009, 02:24 AM
I haven't used it, but you could try Avidemux. It's available on Synaptic Package Manager.

Here is a link to a tutorial on how to do it with Avidemux:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/Avidemux/ExtractingDVDSubtitles

Here is the SourceForge site, with further documentation:
http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/

I hope this helps...

conryf
April 8th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Worked like a charm! Thanks so much!

Didius Falco
April 8th, 2009, 07:18 AM
No worries. I'm a newbie at Ubuntu, but I'm pretty good at research. <G>

billgoldberg
April 8th, 2009, 09:15 AM
You could just rip the movie with subitles (burned into the movie) using K9copy.

Just saying.

conryf
April 8th, 2009, 04:13 PM
that's the problem. It won't rip, k9copy, OGMrip k3b, all choke about halfway through. I had an mpg4 for the movie, but not subtitles for it. Was trying to get the subtitles off the broken DVD to play with the mpg4...

The subtitles I got were actually kind of bad, missing large chunks of dialogue, etc. But I think the method here is solid, it was likely this broken DVD.

Thanks again averybody.

Nepherte
April 8th, 2009, 04:22 PM
This method requires you have mplayer installed.

To see the available subtitles:

mplayer dvd://streamnumber -v -vo null -ao null | grep "subtitle

To rip a subtitle:

mencoder dvd://streamnumber -nosound -ovc frameno -o /dev/null -slang yourlanguage -vobsubout outputfilename

All you have to do is determine the stream number of the movie (it's usually 1) and substitute streamnumber, yourlanguage and outputfilename with the correct data. You don't have to give an extension to outputfilename.