PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Intel Graphics Driver

darkfeline
April 5th, 2009, 08:27 PM
My video card from lspci | grep VGA is

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

I don't think I have the Intel graphics driver installed because my xorg.conf file is

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

I want to install the graphics driver, but I'm not sure where to start. Help?

asmoore82
April 6th, 2009, 05:22 AM
With Intel, you've already got it.

From what I gather, Intel has contributed heavily to the advancement of the built-in Open Source drivers in recent years.
Not seeing any driver configuration in the "xorg.conf" file is due to the advancements there towards full auto-configuration.

To verify which driver is being auto-loaded for your Intel VGA and to see it's capabilities, you could run:

grep -i driver /var/log/Xorg.0.log
xrandr -v
xrandr

slughappy1
April 6th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Are you having display problems? Is that why you want to install drivers? Or is having your xorg.conf empty the reason?

84loops
April 7th, 2009, 11:43 PM
My xorg.conf file is the same way. Compiz does work it's just a little slow when I min or max a window. Also when I need to turn compiz off when I watch a video cause it causes it to pause and act weird. I think I need to uninstall the i810 driver.

skymera
April 8th, 2009, 12:00 AM
The Intel graphics chips are really weak and Compiz will struggle at the more graphic intense animations.

I think there are two drivers for Intel:
i810 and Intel

When i had an intel chipset, i used Intel driver opposed to i810

slughappy1
April 8th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I could be wrong, I don't think I am though. The Intel driver is the new one that actually works, and is i810 is depreciated.... I think

riza hylviu
April 8th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Save a copy of your xorg.conf so you can restore it if needed, and try some different configurations. My hp laptop has an intel graphics card and i use this configuration

Identifier "Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller [8086:2592] (rev 04)"
Driver "Intel"
It seems to work, try this with your configuration, puting your card name instead . But intel drivers are open so maybe it is already well configured.

slughappy1
April 9th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I would also say backup your xorg.conf

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11xorg.conf.backup

Then try to uninstall the i810 driver and install the Intel driver.

sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg-video-i810 && sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel

I would also say try and delete or clear the information out of the xorg.conf. On my laptop I literally do not even have an xorg.conf. I let HAL and dbus detect all of my hardware and preload all the drivers. Everything works perfectly and I don't need the xorg.conf, so I didn't need to deal with it at all :-)

Nepherte
April 9th, 2009, 11:40 AM
The Intel graphics chips are really weak and Compiz will struggle at the more graphic intense animations.
The chip itself is not the issue. The Intel drivers don't work well with xorg 1.5

Jakey_TheSnake
April 9th, 2009, 12:06 PM
You can see/select your graphics driver with a GUI using the:

displayconfig-gtk

command in the terminal.