PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ading some memory

Pondoro
April 5th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I converted a 6 year old eMachines box to Ubuntu. I liked the results at first but now it seems to me that the machine is slower than it should be. I am thinking of adding some memory. The machine has 256MB of removable memory and (if it was still a Windows machine) can support a maximum of "2048MB DDR PC2700." I have a couple of questions:

1) If I plug in the new memory will Linux automatically find it?
2) What does DDR PC2700 mean? I don't want to buy the wrong stuff.

Thanks

kpatz
April 5th, 2009, 06:35 PM
1) Yes.
2) It's the type/speed of memory. Make sure the memory you get says DDR (not DDR2) and 2700 on the package and it'll work.

Pondoro
April 5th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Thanks! I forgot to ask, will it be likely to speed up the machine? It seems to open programs slower than when I first installed Ubuntu. Aslo I get some glitches when playing mp3s.

hessczoo
April 5th, 2009, 07:21 PM
RAM can play a factor. You will notice better performance though because 256MB is low for Ubuntu, so it's probably using a lot of slow swap space. The RAM will give you some more speed for sure, and you will be able to run more programs without degredation in speed.

Chemical Imbalance
April 5th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Definitely go for the RAM upgrade. Get the full 2gb's, you'll notice a nice speed increase from 256mb's! Again, make sure you get the right kind.

wolfen69
April 5th, 2009, 07:37 PM
the 2700 part of it isn't as important. if you get 2100ddr, both sticks will run at 2100 speeds. if you get 3200ddr, both will run at 2700 speed. as long as it's 2700 or higher, and DDR, (not DDR2) you will be fine.

Chemical Imbalance
April 5th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Oh and another thing, make sure you get desktop RAM not notebook RAM, and also do not get DDR2 or DDR3. The MHZ of the RAM isn't a big deal because if you get some ultra fast RAM it will drop down to what your motherboard supports.

raymondh
April 5th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Go for it!

You'll be able to run more apps at the same time. Though everything has it's own limits, 2GB will have more than the current 512mB.

Have fun.

arapa
April 5th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Ubuntu is using about 732 MB of memory on my set-up (with firefox running). I would suggest upgrading your system to at least 1 GB.

You can see how much memory your system is using at any given time by opening system monitor from the panel menu (SYSTEM>ADMINISTRATION>SYSTEM MONITOR - [Resources Tab] or typing
free -m at the terminal.

wolfen69
April 5th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Ubuntu is using about 732 MB of memory on my set-up (with firefox running).

something is definitely amiss with your setup. i have never seen more than 400mb used with firefox open on any machine. (40+ pc's)

InfectedWithDrew
April 5th, 2009, 08:29 PM
something is definitely amiss with your setup. i have never seen more than 400mb used with firefox open on any machine. (40+ pc's)

Firefox, on my Windows XP boot, is running at over 500,000K. He's using add-ons, much like I am.

----------------
Now playing: Crossfade - The Unknown (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/crossfade/track/the+unknown)

asmoore82
April 5th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Ubuntu is using about 732 MB of memory on my set-up (with firefox running).

to get a more realistic idea of how much RAM the OS and programs are really using,
you should subtract the "cached" value from the "used" value as reported
by command line tools such as `free` and `top`

The graphical "System Monitor" app does this for you,
which is why it's "used" RAM amount will always show less than the command line tools.

I have 2 gigs of RAM total;
with firefox+noscript+downloadhelper+speeddial+6 tabs and rhythmbox open I'm only using ~508MB of RAM,
but with a whopping 1400 MB of data "Cached"

presence1960
April 6th, 2009, 01:55 AM

true when I first open FF, but after open a while and with multiple tabs it goes up about 200 - 300 MB. If I close FF it goes back down. But with 4 GB RAM on 64 bit Ubuntu I ain't quabbling over that little slice.