PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Configuring wifi type b, g or mixed mode

SnappyU
April 5th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Ubuntu build: Intrepid and Jaunty Beta

Hi all,

I'm using Network Manager 0.7 to connect to the wifi router and it is working ... somewhat.

I'm trying to determine why "Connection Information" for the connection shows random or fluctuating connection speed.

I also notice that there is no option for selecting the interface mode, as in, whether to use b, g, or bg mixed mode.

In Windows, I could select the mode, with the Network Manager, I cannot.

Is NM0.7 configuring the interface mode (b,g,bg) automatically, and if so, how can I find out the status and change the mode if I want to.

Am I alone with this?
Thanks for any insight! :)

SnappyU
April 6th, 2009, 09:32 AM
*bump*

sgosnell
April 6th, 2009, 09:40 AM
You can set the allowed modes on the router. The mode on the PC is set by the hardware wifi adapter, AFAIK, not the OS.

SnappyU
April 12th, 2009, 12:32 AM
You are right in that the AP's mode is set at the router.
But the client's mode can be set as well, and would determine if it connect to an AP or not.

If a client is set at mixed mode, it can connect to b and g APs, but is not so efficient (I think).
If AP is pure g mode, client should be set to pure g mode for best results.
If AP is pure b mode, client should be set to pure b mode for best results.

Oh come on, am I the only one wondering?

sgosnell
April 12th, 2009, 06:25 PM
You should only set the router to b if you have devices that can only operate in b. PalmOS devices, and some other older handhelds require b, so I keep mine set to mixed mode. I allow my computers and Palms to connect with whatever mode they like, and it all works fine for me. If an AP is set to only g, then my Palm can't connect.

SnappyU
April 13th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I actually have my router set to g mode. The examples I gave are just that, examples.
I'm trying to see how I can force my notebook wifi to g mode, 'cos I believe the mixed mode in my nb is not v efficient.

So my question remains: "How do I set/force my notebook wifi to g mode?"

sgosnell
April 14th, 2009, 03:57 AM
The notebook should be using one or the other. The mixed mode is on the router, AFAIK, not on a PC. What is telling you the notebook is using mixed mode?

SnappyU
April 18th, 2009, 12:40 AM
The notebook should be using one or the other. The mixed mode is on the router, AFAIK, not on a PC. What is telling you the notebook is using mixed mode?

The point is that I have no *clear* way of telling the mode that my notebook is in, nor any way of setting the mode.

It simply connects to an AP regardless of whether it is b or g mode. That seem to tell me that it could be in a bg mode.

iwconfig gives

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"SpeedTouch4C3ACB"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: ##:##:##:##:##
Bit Rate=18 Mb/s Tx-Power=13 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
Power Management:off
Link Quality=46/100 Signal level:-64 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

iwconfig always returns "wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg" for my machine as well. But no indication in NetworkManager says whether my notebook is in b, g or mixed mode.

SnappyU
April 23rd, 2009, 02:30 AM
*bump*

SnappyU
April 23rd, 2009, 02:40 AM
*bump*

dimamali
December 15th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I am having the same problem! Very slow wLAN transfers. My router is set to G and my laptop card is ser to G by default...However my desktop card is in bg mode and i want to change that.
Anyone?

sgosnell
December 16th, 2009, 02:45 AM
One more time: Set the router to whatever mode you want, and the computers which connect to it must use that mode.

msbohn
December 16th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I think the OP's point was that his client is not setting to the router's b/g/mixed mode.

I've got the same problem. My router is set to g only and my connection speed is only 5 to 9 Mb/sec which sounds like it is trying b mode.

More info: I set my router from g mode to mixed mode. Now, I see in Connection Information a bit rate of 36 Mb/s but still no connection. Weird that changing from g to mixed would cause the client to bump up from 5-9 Mb/s to 36 Mb/s.

sgosnell
December 16th, 2009, 10:25 PM
If the router is set to g only, devices cannot connect using b. Devices which are b only can't connect, but if they can use either, they can only connect using g. If the router is set to mixed, then devices can connect using either. The speed isn't set solely by the mode, it is also affected by the connection quality.

msbohn
December 16th, 2009, 11:36 PM
If the router is set to g only, devices cannot connect using b. Devices which are b only can't connect, but if they can use either, they can only connect using g. If the router is set to mixed, then devices can connect using either. The speed isn't set solely by the mode, it is also affected by the connection quality.

So why does the same hardware connect at g speeds under XP but can't connect at all under Ubuntu?

sgosnell
December 17th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Settings, or lack of a correct driver.

msbohn
December 17th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Settings, or lack of a correct driver.

Absolutely! But my driver is correct b43 and we've already established that there are no settings on the client-side for b/g.

sgosnell
December 17th, 2009, 05:33 AM
You said 'can't connect at all'. That likely isn't a function of the mode, but of bad settings, if you have the correct driver for your wifi radio. If it's a speed problem, it's still settings, somewhere. It's hard to diagnose from long distance, especially with a laptop, with proprietary hardware. The wiki may have information that will help you.

msbohn
December 17th, 2009, 02:12 PM
You said 'can't connect at all'. That likely isn't a function of the mode, but of bad settings, if you have the correct driver for your wifi radio. If it's a speed problem, it's still settings, somewhere. It's hard to diagnose from long distance, especially with a laptop, with proprietary hardware. The wiki may have information that will help you.

Yes, that makes sense. I have spent a lot of time on the forum, but I'll dig in to the wiki some more.

Thanks for your help.

SnappyU
February 1st, 2010, 03:09 PM

I have updated my WinXP drivers and now I can connect to my router @ 300Mbps in Windows. But in Jaunty, it just connects to whatever speed it can, which is sometimes G speed 54Mbps, but mostly 30+Mbps. And as msbohn and dimamali also encountered, the connection speed is not optimal.