PDA

View Full Version : fonts are boxes

paxmark1
April 5th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Running 9.04 Intel G45 video on board 4 GB ram intel dual core box.

I have been running 9.04 for maybe 10 days now, no real problems

I had given up on KDE and Kubuntu with the big changeover previous; did Debian, with KDE 3 but I am now liking Gnome and have kept Gnome and Ubuntu. I realized was not acessing my windows fonts via ntfs-3g on the windows partition I had acess to previous. No slick import function found. so I added the mttscorefonts via aptitude. There had been a lot of updates recentlly.

Starting back up (went to windows to work on taxes) and xorg borked with a box with rectangles repeatedly on both kernels and recovery mode also.

Finally got I somehow on the previous kernel and recovery mode, but still very touch for Gnome X and terminal and all panels have just rectangles for text and text inputted into terminal comes off as text.

However alt-f2 got me opera and so I write.

Any help appreciated. I did aptitude update and upgrade in shell prior to getting X up finally. There were no upgrades.

If this should be in the X subcategory instead of installation and updates, please move.

peace,
mark

bapoumba
April 5th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Moved to Jaunty.

I'm not running jaunty, so I cannot test. Make sure the language-pack-xx (xx fitting your localization) package is installed.

paxmark1
April 6th, 2009, 03:45 PM
So, how would I check this out on the CLI. Elinks doesn't work so well because my forward slash is now a different character even on root recovery shell.

I downloaded the beta cd, so that is another option

peace mark

bapoumba
April 6th, 2009, 06:06 PM
That would be:

apt-cache show language-pack-en
To see if English language package is installed.

Other packages may be needed, I have these:

bapoumba@SonyBlue:~$ apt-cache search language-pack-en
language-support-en - metapackage for English language support
language-support-translations-en - Additional translations metapackage for English
sword-language-pack-en - Sword modules for the English language
language-pack-en - translation updates for language English
language-pack-en-base - translations for language English
language-support-writing-en - Writing aids metapackage for English