PDA

View Full Version : Time Boxing Diagram

s.fox
April 4th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Hi everyone,

I am looking to produce a time box for a project. I was wondering if anyone knows a good source for me to look at to ensure I use correct notation. Google has not been helpful at all.

Thank you,

-Ash R

bapoumba
April 4th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Moved to PT :)

dwhitney67
April 4th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Hi everyone,

I am looking to produce a time box for a project. I was wondering if anyone knows a good source for me to look at to ensure I use correct notation. Google has not been helpful at all.

Thank you,

-Ash R
You must be living in one of those countries that censor the internet and/or have their own Google site with local results.

When I Googled for "timebox management", I came up with a lot of results.

I have never used, much less heard of "timebox" until today. From what I read briefly, it would appear that you could use whatever notation you want. The whole premise behind timeboxing is to allocate a fixed amount of time to accomplish a task, and to rank tasks by importance, thus determining which tasks will be accomplished/delivered first. If a task cannot be completed in its allotted time frame, then it is assigned another timebox. It all sounds like something that has been done forever on many projects, but repackaged with a different name/twist.

On this one site I came across, this paragraph raised my curiosity...

In software development, an agile team releases new versions of a product to the customer for testing in fixed length iterations, say weekly. The customer and the development team work together to identify the features to be included in each release based on the relative priority and complexity of each task.

A product is released to the customer for testing??? That's a new one! In my industry that never happens. We have requirements as provided by the customer, and it up to us to do the testing and to come up with the test-plans.

I guess the landscape of s/w development has changed, or perhaps everyone has learned to accept M$ way of producing s/w. Ship out crap, and let the customer test it, then report back any bugs found.

s.fox
April 4th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Hi.

I think you misunderstand. I know the theory behind time boxing. I was just trying to find an example of a completed time box.

I also did a search in synaptic for project management programs. They seem to be pretty keen on Ghant charts and don't appear to have the ability to create a time box.

I can't create what I have not seen in terms of notation.

Thank you.

dwhitney67
April 4th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Hi.

I think you misunderstand. I know the theory behind time boxing. I was just trying to find an example of a completed time box.

I also did a search in synaptic for project management programs. They seem to be pretty keen on Ghant charts and don't appear to have the ability to create a time box.

I can't create what I have not seen in terms of notation.

Thank you.

Are you going to enter your timing box in the local science fair? You have two choices... follow someone else's notation, or define your own. If there was a set standard on what notation to use, do you not think it would be easy to find?

It like defining use-cases; there is no set way to do it. Some programs do it one way, others do it in another. It's up to the individual program to determine what is best for their needs.

s.fox
April 4th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Hi,

Now I follow you. You are saying that there is no standard notation. Given that, I will work to my own standards.

Thank you.

Tony Flury
April 4th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Shipping stuff to the customer to test is fairly common - it is called UAT (user acceptance testing).

It is normally carried out with a small group of customers/users - it is not a mass market release. Most of the s/w industry "abhors the M$ ship any old c**p" philosophy.