PDA

View Full Version : [xfce] XFCE Annoyances (in 8.10)

afxmac
April 3rd, 2009, 11:02 AM
Hi,
I've recently switched to Ubuntu (from SuSE) on my Thinkpad T61, changing one set of annoyances for another ;-)

Gnome and KDE being to bloated and Windowmanger support being rather crappy, I decided try try XFCE.

The first thing I notice is the network manager applet not showing up (known 1 pixel bug). Why the heck is such an essential piece for network control not fixed, it is after all a known problem for months?
Is there a command line alternative to network manager (apart from really configuring everything manually)? Hunting for a 1 pixel app icon on highres laptop screen gets tedious after a while.

I often need to switch from single screen to dual screen and vice versa. Using the Nvidia X server (currently on driver 180.44 64bit) settings tool I loose the components that enable the right click menu and my screen background. Nvidia mess up or XFCE problem?
(And the silly Nvidia tool also removes my ICC profile every time it runs, yuck)

Why is there no option to have omnipresent windows? Any tricks to enable that?

Why are icons always restored to the workspace they originated from instead of the current one? Any tricks to change that?

Is there a ready made transparent icon dock? I do not want transparent icons, just no visible dock background, I want to see icons only.

Is there a way to have a blank screen saver / locker instead of the current default theme bitmap (I am using the brushed theme)?
Sometimes this silly screensaver is semi transparent and allows anyone looking at the screen to see what it should hide. YUCK!
(When I need an explicit lock I run xlock manually, but when the automated one kicks in I get the behavior described above.) I'd be happy to substitute the systems screen saver with xlock if someone points me to the config file to tweak.

Why are some applications added to the menus and others not (for example I see kdesvn but not konquerer)?

thx
afx

rizzeh
April 3rd, 2009, 06:39 PM
as linus said :D

Those that can, do. Those that can't, complain