PDA

View Full Version : Why?

claymater
April 2nd, 2009, 12:24 AM
Why does the ubuntu art team (if its them) stick with the normal panels, they look so much better either a little transparent, or something.

They seem to need a revamp.

Giant Speck
April 2nd, 2009, 12:48 AM
Why does the ubuntu art team (if its them) stick with the normal panels, they look so much better either a little transparent, or something.

In order for the default theme to have semi-transparent panels or even a gradient, it would require the pixbuf engine, which is not installed by default. I don't think it's possible for any other theme engine -- besides pixbuf, which uses images such as .pngs -- to theme the panel.

claymater
April 2nd, 2009, 12:52 AM
In order for the default theme to have semi-transparent panels or even a gradient, it would require the pixbuf engine, which is not installed by default. I don't think it's possible for any other theme engine -- besides pixbuf, which uses images such as .pngs -- to theme the panel.

But it looks so bland... If I was un tech savy, then I would be like "blah, this looks weird", ya know?

Excedio
April 2nd, 2009, 01:15 AM

Because they want to give you the opportunity to be acreative with your desktop as you like. I know a ton of people that just leave it as the day they installed Ubuntu.

smartboyathome
April 2nd, 2009, 04:39 AM

Because not everybody likes transparent or gradient transparent panels.

Merk42
April 2nd, 2009, 05:13 PM
Because not everybody likes transparent or gradient transparent panels.

And not everybody likes flat opaque ones either.

But that's how art is, you can't please everyone.

Excedio
April 2nd, 2009, 08:03 PM
And not everybody likes flat opaque ones either.

But that's how art is, you can't please everyone.

With this line of thought I can say "Then why have a GUI at all then?" Does an artist take the Mona Lisa and add to it? No. He takes a blank canvas and creates.

cb951303
April 2nd, 2009, 09:45 PM
I don't think transparency is possible with the current state of GTK. AFAIK GTK don't do compositing yet.

Giant Speck
April 2nd, 2009, 11:15 PM
I don't think transparency is possible with the current state of GTK. AFAIK GTK don't do compositing yet.

It is possible to use a semi-transparent PNG for a panel background. I'm using one right now.

However, in order to actually see windows go underneath the panel when you move them, you need some sort of compositing manager like Compiz.

s.fox
April 2nd, 2009, 11:45 PM
My panel is transparent. I can post a screen shot if anybody is interested.

Merk42
April 3rd, 2009, 12:37 AM
With this line of thought I can say "Then why have a GUI at all then?" Does an artist take the Mona Lisa and add to it? No. He takes a blank canvas and creates.

What?

All I meant is there no way there can be a theme that pleases everyone because art is subjective.

Therion
April 3rd, 2009, 12:41 AM
Maybe because it's already so easy to right-click on a default panel, click on Properties and set them as to be as transparent as you like?

Excedio
April 3rd, 2009, 12:55 AM
What?

All I meant is there no way there can be a theme that pleases everyone because art is subjective.

Apologies...read it wrong. I retract

With this line of thought I can say "Then why have a GUI at all then?"

alex.rayu
April 3rd, 2009, 09:35 AM
Maybe because it's already so easy to right-click on a default panel, click on Properties and set them as to be as transparent as you like?

But not unless you have an image background on a panel.

I know that have many glass in Vista, and I know they went the same way in KDE. My personal taste is that it is terrible. Your eye gets attracted to what's behind the window. Oh, I have an idea! =D> Why not make a completely unusable but brisky and all transparent theme, to show to others and make them envy, and then actually use some usable theme? =)

cb951303
April 3rd, 2009, 10:25 AM
It is possible to use a semi-transparent PNG for a panel background. I'm using one right now.

However, in order to actually see windows go underneath the panel when you move them, you need some sort of compositing manager like Compiz.

that is called pseudo-transparency ;) real transparency needs compositing

daWsOn_s
April 4th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Actually I was disappointed with 9.04 beta screenshots, I thought I was finally going to see a different all new system look (one the wonderful mock-ups) but it's always the same old theme! Changing colors is making a new theme? Wasn't the 9.04 version supposed to have a new theme since in the previous one this aspect was postponed?

lyceum
April 4th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I have been using Ubuntu full time since 6.06. People need to realize that the look will always be bad on this OS. It is (IMHO) the best distro out there, but it looks like poo. There are people who like that, there are people that don't.

What Ubuntu REALLY needs is a walk through waiting on the desktop for new users on how to make it look good, or "different" if you don't like it. I personally skipped over Ubuntu after loading it and moved on to try other distros when I first got into FOSS because I thought "Linux" was like Windows XP, you only had the options given to you (excluding the wallpaper). It wasn't until after I tried many different distros that I grudgingly came back to Ubuntu as I found it to be the best one. I was over joyed when I learned I could alter the look. I wasted so much time because there was no instructions on that.

"Linux for Human Beings"? Yes. Linux for those that like things visually appealing? No.

Merk42
April 4th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Actually I was disappointed with 9.04 beta screenshots, I thought I was finally going to see a different all new system look (one the wonderful mock-ups) but it's always the same old theme! Changing colors is making a new theme? Wasn't the 9.04 version supposed to have a new theme since in the previous one this aspect was postponed?

8.04 was supposed to have it because they figure they'd make a new theme with the new LTS...
8.10 was supposed to have it because they wanted to focus on making 8.04 LTS really secure...
9.04 was supposed to have it because it got pushed from 8.10...
9.10 is supposed to have it because Mark Shuttleworth said it was a focus
{predictions}
10.04 will have it because the changes in 9.10 proved too buggy to release.
10.10 will have it so they can roll it out with GNOME 3.0

alex.rayu
April 4th, 2009, 03:37 PM
People, don't cry about the look!Better cross fingers for Gnome 3.0.

daWsOn_s
April 4th, 2009, 06:57 PM
8.04 was supposed to have it because they figure they'd make a new theme with the new LTS...
8.10 was supposed to have it because they wanted to focus on making 8.04 LTS really secure...
9.04 was supposed to have it because it got pushed from 8.10...
9.10 is supposed to have it because Mark Shuttleworth said it was a focus
{predictions}
10.04 will have it because the changes in 9.10 proved too buggy to release.
10.10 will have it so they can roll it out with GNOME 3.0

Wow that's clear now :lolflag:

lyceum
April 4th, 2009, 09:18 PM
People, don't cry about the look!Better cross fingers for Gnome 3.0.

As much as I can't wait for G3, there is still the "brown" issue. There are awesome looking distros with XFCE (DreamLinux to name one) so you can't tell me it is a Gnome issue.

Merk42
April 4th, 2009, 10:40 PM
As much as I can't wait for G3, there is still the "brown" issue. There are awesome looking distros with XFCE (DreamLinux to name one) so you can't tell me it is a Gnome issue.

Yea, what can brown do for you?

That joke prompted me to look at UPS.com... What's this? Very very little brown on their website. Maybe the figured while brown can symbolize good things, an attractive interface is not one of them.

Granted they don't use that slogan anymore either...

WatchingThePain
April 4th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I can have transparent panels with compiz.
in fact I did have them all transparent or glass-like until I got bored with it.
I suppose it's a bit like having a body kit and fluffy dice in your car.

lyceum
April 5th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Yea, what can brown do for you?

That joke prompted me to look at UPS.com... What's this? Very very little brown on their website. Maybe the figured while brown can symbolize good things, an attractive interface is not one of them.

Granted they don't use that slogan anymore either...

I use to work for a company that worked for UPS. That "What can brown do for you" was their worst marketing campaign. I worked with a guy that reported to the CEO. He told me his people got way too much grief from it. This being a family site, I will not repeat the things people told him brown could do.

According to old timers in the business, brown WAS the color of business and professionalism back in the day. Now they are stuck with it. I really cannot imagine a UPS truck a different color. Ubuntu should learn that lesson before it is too late. :)