PDA

View Full Version : Which commercial software would you buy for Linux

Ascenti0n
April 1st, 2009, 11:48 AM
I was wondering how many people would pay for commercial software if it was available under linux natively, and what which software they would buy.

I would quite happily pay for:

Sony Vegas Pro
Photoshop
Flash
Quickbooks

Rotaj
April 1st, 2009, 12:20 PM
+1 for PS & Quicken

Also DVDfab

theolster
April 1st, 2009, 12:21 PM
Photoshop - and I would stop using my Mac as my main desktop.

Chilli Bob
April 1st, 2009, 12:33 PM
MYOB and Quickbooks.

And some decent video editing software - Sony Vegas?

And some first person shooters.

fballem
April 1st, 2009, 12:35 PM
Enterprise Architect from Sparx Systems. It apparently runs under Wine, but I haven't tried it. The nice thing about this software is that it is relatively inexpensive, but hugely functional.

Visio, or a good technical drawing program that allows the use of templates, pre-defined shapes, and flexible connectors. It would also have to be relatively inexpensive. In a perfect world, it would be able to read and write visio files.

chuckn
April 1st, 2009, 12:38 PM
+1 for Quickbooks!

itsStephen
April 1st, 2009, 12:52 PM
Pretty much Adobe stuff, mainly photoshop, illustrator and indesign

Also PHP designer. It may work in wine though, the free one does.

Bölvağur
April 1st, 2009, 01:05 PM
It mostly would be games, and id, the only real gaming company for real gamers, are already making native ports.

When I come to think about it, most software that I would buy is already native so... hf ):P

Dragonbite
April 1st, 2009, 02:14 PM
Adobe professional products
(Photoshop, Flash, etc. Then maybe I could get a friend of mine who does a lot in Flash to try/use Linux)

Microsoft Office Professional
(with full cross-platform abilities; OpenOffice is good but lacks in some places)

Microsoft Visual Studio
(because I use the VB flavor of .NET and Monodevelop isn't "there" yet)

Quickbooks

Ascenti0n
April 1st, 2009, 02:37 PM
I'd even pay to get Line6 to give me drivers, so that I can use my PodXT and Variax 700 in Linux, which should come with the product anyway as their software is written in Java.

billgoldberg
April 1st, 2009, 03:15 PM
Games.

No applications.

racepres
April 1st, 2009, 03:17 PM
Pretty much Adobe stuff, mainly photoshop, illustrator and indesign

And Page Mill, for me! But, Good Ole' File Maker Pro, would make me really downright giddy... If, it could import my layouts, calculations, and records! Probly works w wine tho..RP

Jordanwb
April 1st, 2009, 04:35 PM
If Artisteer was available for Linux (company is considering Linux/Mac version) then I'd buy it. The Windows version uses .Net 2.0 (which isn't the problem) but it tried to register 5 activeX things which fail. :-(

smartboyathome
April 1st, 2009, 04:38 PM
Quickbooks so that my mom would not have to use Windows if she didn't want to.

aeiah
April 1st, 2009, 04:40 PM
work related:
access 97 and access 2007 runtimes
autocad

that'd make things a lot simpler. especially since we've ported some stuff to run on mobile platforms, and linux netbooks would cost a hell of a lot less and be a hell of a lot faster.

for personal use:
windows paravirtualisation / hardware virtualisation. novell did a deal and it's available with suse enterprise to some extent, but that's about it. it'd let a windows virtual machine use your graphics card properly, basically.

and games, of course.

MaindotC
April 1st, 2009, 04:46 PM
Microsoft Project 2007 because I'm taking a Project Management class that requires we use Project.

Aside from that, I'd just pay for the proprietary formats and Fluendo does a good job of multimedia formats but I'd like additional formatting support like there are issues importing a windows .doc or .ppt to Openoffice.

mister_p_1998
April 1st, 2009, 05:20 PM
Sonicstage for my lovely MD collection.

sanderella
April 1st, 2009, 05:25 PM
I would like something that would download ebooks onto My Rocket reader and eBookwise, and a CAD program for my knitting machine.

Grierson Huffman
April 1st, 2009, 05:37 PM
None.